What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda

• Thread starter 7santiago
  • Start date
I have an aldrovanda that i want to multiply, how on earth do i get it to become two plants? Do i snap it in half like an utric?

Yes just pull it apart so its even...no chemicals or anything and could i ask some questions about it? where did you get it what do you keep it in and how on earth do you keep track of the little booger? just PM me about those
smile.gif

Well it doesn't need much. I got it from szieze's nursery
My design to keep this thing alive was genius!!!

You get a normal tank,
fill it with lake water and
add sphagnum moss, oh and your aldrovanda and an utricularia gibba.

The moss will fall to the bottom and decompose

and as the moss decomposes the fungus releases Carbon dioxide nessecary for the aldrovanda

the micro organisms in the tank eat the algea and keep it clean

The Utricularia keeps the populations of the microrganisms down while still leaving some for the aldrovanda.

It is self caring and stable. the fuel is a cup of sphagnum moss every year or so, just untill what was in the tank decomposes to silty mud, soil.

But be carfull the only problem in this is that the u. gibba may grow to fast so prepare to divide it a couple thousand times
smile_m_32.gif

Is that live or dead sphagnum? I've been looking at Aldrovanda for a while but didn't want to try because the place that supplies them can't sell the associate plants to Washington due to some quarantine. But I have plenty of sphagnum and U. gibba, so it would be fun to try. Thanks for the info.
Oh BTW, The Savage Garden says exactly what glider there told you, just divide them along the main stem.
~Joe

PS - I found this great article from the CPN on cultivation a while ago, for anyone interested. There's some good information in it about associate plants and propagation.

Dead sphagnum,

by the way i totaly recomend this plant, its so easy if you grow it the way i stated, even the friend i gave my second plant to loved it and he has no experience with cps and its been three months now. Its still green and mean!

Ok OK fine ill include pictures...

Aldrovanda

Picture335.jpg

Picture339.jpg

U.gibba

Picture336.jpg

Note the sphagnum moss on the bottom

Picture342.jpg

Snailly, hes hard to spot and i only found one one of the three, they are really hard to find in the entangled u. gibba!

Picture345.jpg

Picture347.jpg

Oh my i just noticed the aldrovanda grew an extra inch, YEY!

Back