What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia menziesii

Anyone grow Utricularia menziesii?
I was just stumbling around the net and found some pictures of it.
Crazy red flowers, with a strange sort of rosette at the base. I don't have many Utrics but i thought this one was interesting.
Is it common and i just dont know about it?

from www.acps.org.au
u-menziesii.jpg

from dionee.gr.free.fr
bb20a.jpg

well i searched the forum, *ahem* after posting this
smile_l_32.gif
, and found out some information, but id still like to any response.

thanks
-Chris

Yes, I grow this one and it is the most rare utric I grow. What kind of information are you looking for? It grows from a tuber and it goes dormant during the hot weather. I have yet to have it flower for me.

Hi Dave,
Well, that kind basically. How many people grow it, how easy or hard to grow (different for everyone I know). it's rare and hard to grow, so I won't need to learn more than the basics, since I won't get one untill I have more experience. I just thought it was a really nice plant.

Thanks,
-Chris

I know of only one other person on this forum who also grows it. There have been threads on the CPUK forum that have a lot more detail. I have found it easy to grow if the right conditons are maintained. In the growing season, I keep it cool under bright light in my basement using the tray method. I flood it every now and then. During the summer, I bring it outside to trigger dormancy. I eventually let the pot completely dry out and leave it outside in the shade until the September, then I bring it back to my basement to start the growing season again.

It has been a fun plant to grow and I do like it. Since the plant is used to "Australia" seasons, it was like a game to get it adjusted to growing in the northern hemisphere.

Good luck for when you decide to grow it.

It's a beautiful plant.  I like how the stolons form a nice rosette.  Too bad isn't available.

yeh to bad isnt it Brian, bet we could give it the equivilent to a hot Aussie summer couldnt we?
smile_n_32.gif
i guess it must be sorta if rarly availible if you got your hands on it Dave. did you get yours as tuber or seed?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]yeh to bad isnt it Brian, bet we could give it the equivilent to a hot Aussie summer couldnt we?

Yea, and then we have Dave over there hoarding his tubers. He probably has a sack of them stashed under his bed.

shhhhhhhhhhh no one is supposed to know about his hoard, he is trading me 5 tubers for 20 D. capensis seeds so you just need to mind your own buisness Brian
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

I bought them as tubers (in February of 2004) from an online cp source in the USA.

Back