What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U dichotoma

smilie4.gif

It just popped up in the terrarium the other day...

- Mike

Nice flowers. A few of my utrics are in bloom--it's always a great site to see!

Thanks chloroplast.

...thought i'd post a couple more shots.
The more I look, the more I want to call it monanthos (dichotoma spp monanthos or whatever)
smile.gif

Notice the hollow stolon (sorry it's a bit blurry)

- Mike

Seandew

The scape is about 4 inches... however I had a previous one that reached about 6 inches. Both scapes bared single flowers.

- M

With scapes of that height it definitely isn't a U. dichotoma var. monanthos. The scapes of a true U. dichotoma var. monanthos are never much more than an inch in height, usually less.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With scapes of that height it definitely isn't a U. dichotoma var. monanthos. The scapes of a true U. dichotoma var. monanthos are never much more than an inch in height, usually less.
Seandew,

I am confused: Taylor indicates that scapes can reach heights of 15cm (exception)... Lowrie states that scapes are short (inches), however he also uses hollow stolons as a diagnostic for monanthos.

I would be curious to know if anyone has recorded a dichotoma with holow stolons. And does this hollow-stoloned dichotoma feature multiple flowers? [hmmm]

I am not an expert - but in general, I have some misgivings about using flower height as a definitive diagnostic for this guy. Scape height varies widely based on growing conditions - Taylor even states that plants can alter scape height based on the water level. Isn't it possible that a monanthos could have somewhat longer scapes due to environmental conditions [artificial lighting (think etoliation)]?

I would like to hear more of your thoughts on this confusing subject.
In light of the taxonomic confusion, maybe U. dichotoma "single flower variant" would be more appropriate?

Thanks,
- Mike

Back