What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of flowers

Utricularia dichotoma

Utricularia tridentata - dunno why this thing flowered for me, it only has like 3 leaves.

Beautiful, Dave! Question: Do all of those Utrics require a kind of 4 seasons of photoperiod and temperature?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do all of those Utrics require a kind of 4 seasons of photoperiod and temperature?

Beats me.. I wouldn't think 4 would be needed, 2 I could see. I also think that a change in the water level is important.

Again, I'll point out that I am really questioning the importance of a changing photoperiod on most plant species. So far temperature has been more of a trigger for all my experiments. The most recent is with some native plant species, a couple of sedges. We have seed sown at work in the greenhouse, with very little germination. The thermostat set in the low to mid 70's. After 2 weeks there has been less then 1% germination rates. The other people at work blamed it on cloudy weather we have had recently. I said the temps are too low. I took a pinch of the seed home, and sowed them in pots on top of my grow lights. They get no direct light, but with temps in the mid 80's, and have had nearly 75% germ rates in 1 week, while the ones at work still haven't done anything, after 3 weeks.

Another example from work.
We have tubers from river bul-rush packed away in styrafoam(sp?) boxes. No light at all for them, but they are kept in a greenhouse with temps just above freezing at night, but in the 70's-80's once I get there and turn up the heat while I am working. I am preparing these tubers for planting. When I first started none had been sprouting, first week or so. And at that time no one turned up the heat during the day. Now that I have been turning up the heat every box I open has new growth coming from most of the tubers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the plants can survive with out light. I am just thinking the temperature is by far a bigger trigger then photoperiod.

I'd like to buy a couple heat mats, and set up some real tests, but don't have the room or money right now.

Back