What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Livida seed collection

My U. Lividia has plenty of flowers coming and going. The question is how do i get seeds from them?

pollinate them like you would a pinguicula

Let's pretend I am new at this.
smile.gif

Don't my bees pollinate this stuff?

No need to pollinate! They do very well by spreading and flowering. This is another CP weed!

Do they self pollinate? I have some that has a few flowers on it and I was also wondering how to get seed.

They must. I mean I have done nothing to encourage them, other that water and light.

My U. livida doesn't self pollinate
smile_h_32.gif
. But I'm not desperate enough to hand pollinate it.

My guess would be to stick a toothpick into one and then the other making sure to brush all the little things inside.

Peter

Very few of my Utricularia species ever self pollinated (subulata, lateriflora, bisquamata being the exceptions) and certainly not livida. I just never was able to pollinate by hand, although Pyro has had some success there!

What's causing them to flower so readily, since I'm not doing anything special for them and they're kept inside?

flowering and pollonating are two seperate things. they need to be pollonated in order to set seed, they dont have to set seed in order to bloom. livida and sandersonii are two that do mass blooms but yah dont have to worry about seed cause chances are pretty slim that you will get any

Duh... I knew that!
biggrin.gif
I wasn't thinking. That's one of those plants that you don't worry about one way of propogating because they do well in another way - like pings or D. binata or....

Back