What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Of the following species from my Grow List, which is now pared down, due to winter losses, which would benefit from having colder temps and which are better off remaining at my window sill at room temp all year round.

UTRICULARIA:
alpina tubers
bisquamata
calycifida
dichotoma
flaccida
graminifolia
gibba
heterosepela
livida *
macrohyza*
nephrophylla
paulinaea
praelonga *
prehensilis *
pubescens
sandersonii
sandersonii - blue *
sp. 2 *
stygia*
subulata
tricolor
tridentata
warburgii
whelwitchii

ive been told praelonga needs some cold weather in order to flower other than that im not sure

These are just of the ones I have grown, if anyone else has anything to add, or has had a different experience, please do so:
alpina- doesn't need cooler rest
bisquamata- no rest needed
calicifida- no rest
dichotoma- no rest
gibba- no rest needed, but can take cold temps
livida- no rest needed
praelonga- I've heard it needs a rest to flower as well, but I haven't had any luck with this species.
sandersonii/blue- no rest needed
subulata- Who cares!
smile_m_32.gif

tricolor- no rest needed, but mined didn't exactly flourish
tridentata- no rest needed
The others I have had no experience with... not sure what the * were for.

Cole

Thanks, Cole! That gives me a better idea of what to do for next year.

I believe tricolor is a tropical - it excels in my heated lowland tank. Pubescens, calycifida and dichotoma too. Dunno about the rest of them.
~Joe

tricolor is a royal pain in the.................. abuse the SOB and if it flowers please let us know what you did, my most recent discovery is it likes dart frog tanks. other discoverys include, well, i havent found conditions yet in which it doesnt grow other than bone dry. i cant get the lil nice guy to flower....................

"lil nice guy" ?!?!?! freaking filters
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I knew what you said lol
smile_m_32.gif

U. praelonga needs a cold (near freezing) rest to flower from allo accounts. All the other Utricularia did well for me in terraria and I used the same method as Pyro _ wet to just moist in a repeating cycle. The temperate aquatics demand a winter rest (include the Northern populations of U. cornuta). The epiphitic species have dormancy requirements as well. I found that the best thing with the tropical/semi-tropicals was to just let them be and frequently re-start them by division which always sparked good new growth, healthy plants and many flowers. I always wondered if the same process could be used with the annuals, but rarely had the chance to try since seed is so rare. These plants are made to run and grow, and most don't enjoy being crowded in the same pot for long periods.

Back