What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquatic Utrics

Cindy

Staff member
I received two species from a friend and have absolutely no idea what they are, except that there is one with bladders one-tenth of an inch - I consider that quite large since I have only seen the bladders of U. gibba.

What is a good way to grow them?  
smile.gif

Hi Cindy,

The best way to grow aquatic utrics is in an established pond with plants that host algae that feed a variety of little water creatures that feed the traps. Next best thing would be a five gallon bucket (maybe with dry leaves or some organic matter?). I use tap water on all my ponds and the utrics don't seem to mind.

I have never managed to get an aquatic Utricularia to flower for whatever reason. Maybe a shallower container would help; I don't know.

Peter

My U. gibba does nicely in the bottom of my Nep terrariums - it flowers whenever I let the water level get low. I grow it amongst LFS and live sphagnum, but those are the only containers I can get it to flower in... high humidity may be a requirement as well. I would advise against small containers - I think a bucket like Rubra said is a good idea. I just started experimenting with keeping U. gibba in my rain catch (since it's full of wigglies) and it seems very happy. I keep U. inflata in smaller containers, only because I don't have anything big to introduce it into that isn't already infested with U. gibba; keeping it in small containers is a constant battle and I've had to learn a lot to keep mine alive in these conditions. I would strongly recommend against it. If I had the space, I'd give them all ponds.
I've also managed to establish U. gibba in a number of water trays, but algae becomes a contender in translucent containers. When the algae starts to accumulate on the plants, I clean out the container with a paper towel and water and then hose the Utrics down with a spray bottle. The algae should rinse off the clump with relative ease if you catch it soon enough, but if you wait too long it'll all get mushy and you'll lose plants. Bigger clumps seem to be able to take care of themselves and need less care in this respect. If you have a clear or light-colored container, give it less light to discourage algae growth - the Utrics don't seem to mind and in low light they easily outgrow algae. Black containers and natural, dark-colored media at the bottom is advisable. You might also look into finding associate pond plants.
Best luck,
~Joe

I think it was Ramshorn snails that help keep the algae down, without feeding on the Utrics. I would think a good-sized cat litter box would have appropriate dimensions if you want something contained. Having a layer of soil media is also recommended.

What soil media should I use? Peat?

You won't be needing any soil media. Even if you start them in soil, they grow very quickly and the tail end dies off so soon they'd be floating anyway.

Back