What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rockwool Experiment

Some time ago a member was going to try this method, and I wonder how it turned out?

didnt work out to well from th lil i did with floral foam. for some reason the rollons didnt want to penetrate the foam. maybe i should have used sandersonii, i can get that lil bugger to grow on the outside of a terra cotta pot
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]maybe i should have used sandersonii, i can get that lil bugger to grow on the outside of a terra cotta pot
i hope to expext this soon
smile.gif

alex

sweet! how do you get them to flower? i guessing light. and can they flower year round? my mom loves the bunnies
biggrin.gif

alex

alot of ppl set their Utrics in a back corner or such cause whell the other CPs are more showy. those who like Utrics tend to have the same fasination over them as orchid growers.

i think the #1 reason i have such good luck with flowering most Utrics is that i give them alot of light, usually growing them along side my Drosera AND they get a temperature swing. my nights are usually atleast 15 degrees cooler than my days.

that said U. sandersonii seems to be an excellent bloomer and not terribly picky on conditions other than its medium needs to stay wet and it REALLY doesnt like to be cramped. its a very good idea not to let them stay pot bound for extended lengths of time or you will see a hault to flowering after a few months and than a die off. or atleast thats what ive found. dividing it every 8 months or so is a good idea.

what medium do you recomend?

Peat or peat and sand.

-Ben

Rattler you amaze me!  Couple of years ago you barely knew what a Utricularia was, and now you are a grand master of the genus!  I would like to see a shot of your U. aueromaculata, and there is no doubt that this is the real deal!
Purdy please???

I still plan on stealing Tim Malcom's experiment idea and try some in a glass of clear marbles, I think its a great idea but I haven't done it.

Tamlin, a glass of clear marbles? For what type of utrics? Aquatic or semi-aquatic like sandersonii?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

dont have a recent shot of the aureomaculata, will get one this weekend.

i dont think im the grand master of the genus, you and Pyro have much more experience with the more difficult species

LOL! My skills with the epiphites are like the bladders of Utricularia: they suck. Well, I am getting better with a few of them. I think you have the magic for the terresterials though. U. aueromaculata never thrived for me, and I believe it might be because there wasn't a great enough differential between the day/night temps. It certainly wasn't a matter of light, I used plenty. Are you growing yours in terraria? For me, it didn't matter - I got sparse growth either in or out. I look forward to seeing yours!

will probably post a pic tomorrow night i took one last night but im not mesing with it tonight. its been nice and not raining like predicted so ive been moving as much as possible. tonight will be our first night sleeping in the new house.

BTW ive got a Genlisea pic that will make your jaw drop. i didnt think i had any Gen's left and thought it was a few lolons of calycifida in the pot, when i glanced at the tag and and tapped the plant out of the pot i got a hell of a surprise, you have to see it to believe it, will post tomorrow also

Back