What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. reniformis

My large form U. reniformis flowered this year.  So enjoy

Ureniformis1.jpg

Ureniformis2.jpg

And now for something completely different
(well not really, but it sounded good!)

U. nelumbifolia
Unelumbifolia.jpg

U. nephrophylla white
Unephrophylla.jpg

And now the reason for the two previous photos!

U. nephrophylla white x nelumbifolia

wow it looks lousy and is a far cry from an improvement over either species, but hey it is a Utric hybrid so I guess that counts for something lol. It is fragrant at least
smile_n_32.gif

UnephXnelum.jpg

Tony

The U. reniformis looks great.

I love the hybrid - first I've heard of that one! Nice photo's!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 10 2006,4:54)]I love the hybrid - first I've heard of that one!  Nice photo's!
Likewise. How large (or should that be small) is the flower?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 09 2006,8:54)]I love the hybrid - first I've heard of that one!  Nice photo's!
Tony only just made it, hence the reason it has not been heard of.
smile.gif

I really like it Tony, not lousy at all. Looks a bit like the pink nephro. Gonna have to get a division from you for sure.

would be nice if the shape was better.

The flower is about 2cm across, inflorescence about 10cm the U. nephrophylla really seems to have come through strong.

Meant to post this also.. picture of the 'leaves' which are about 1cm diameter.
UnephXnelum2.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 10 2006,9:17)]U. nephrophylla really seems to have come through strong.
Probably because it was the seed parent. I wonder what the reciprical would look like??

Tony,

What media do you use for your U. reniformis? Also do you use the tray method? I can't seem to get mine to do anything, grow, die, flower, they just sit there year after year not doing much of anything!

Glenn

Oh yeah, very nice pictures and plants!

Glen how are you growing yours?

Nice photos, beautiful flowers. And an interesting hybrid. Congrats Tony.
smile.gif

I grow them in live LFS. I have tried the tray method and simply treating them like I would a Nep, watering a couple times a week.

Its like ground hogs day with this plant, nothing realy changes.

My grow room is in the basement and runs around high 50s to low 70s in winter to low 70s to mid 80s in the summer. I havn't notice much of a difference with the temp changes either. Although the warmer temps seem to keep it happier.

The leaves were larger and there were more when I got my first division. I now have two going and they have similar growth habits (two seperate sources). I have had then for two years.

It's just one of those Plants I can't seem to satify.

Glenn

dont feel bad, its one that just survives for me. im hoping the constant cool conditions of our new basement will help but who knows. ive got mine growing via info Pyro gave me a layer of LFS a couple inches thick over top of perlite and orchid bark and water it when i water the neps along side it. it lives, its tubers stay healthy and good sized but i cant keep leaves on it for any length of time.

A Utric hybrid, how cool! Thanks for showing us the photos
smile.gif

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ May 10 2006,12:44)]Tony,

What media do you use for your U. reniformis?  Also do you use the tray method?  I can't seem to get mine to do anything, grow, die, flower, they just sit there year after year not doing much of anything!

Glenn
I use a mix of Canadian peat and silica sand. 20-30% sand maybe if that.. I don't measure. Just add a handful of sand to the peat lol.

They are overhead watered every morning all year round and are not sitting in water. Basically treated like just about every other plant in the ghouse. This time of year the old leaves look crummy if they haven't already died off and new leaves are poking out. They typically last until late Winter. They may only put up a few leaves at most for an entire year.

Tony

OK name time! "Tony's Terror" Errrr, any plans to market the plant anytime in the next decade (which is about all I got I figure)?

hmmmmm might have to divide mine and try growin it similar to yours Tony along side one grown Pyro's way see if i get better results. do you fertilize yours?

I don't fertilize them directly.  Something I have thought about fiddling around with on the Utrics at some point.  As for now they may pick up just a very dilute feeding from the water that exits the Sarracenia which they sit next too.  The benches where my Utrics, Sarracenia and VFT are solid surface and the water flows to one end before draining.  So any water coming out of the Sarracenia pots would run past the Utrics and VFT.  I don't go crazy with the Sarracenia but they do get a light sprinkle of Osmocote in the Spring.

T

Hey Tony!

Congrats, I didn't even know this hybrid was possible! At least in nature their pollinators seem to be very different, since no hybrids are observed between species of Section Iperua.

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

Back