What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone ever try to fry tricolor?

our July and August is usually a pretty solid 2 months of over 90 degrees 6 days a week. anyone attempted to cook tricolor into flowering? bake at 100 for 4 weeks and *DING* flowering?

im going to flower this SOB if its the last thing i do
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]anyone attempted to cook tricolor into flowering? bake at 100 for 4 weeks and *DING* flowering?

I suggest adding a teaspoon of salt for taste!
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Seriously, though, I've never owned a tricolor so can't be of much help. Sorry.

i suggest not getting it, its the most frustrating plant i own. i cant not get it to grow like a weed other than letting it dry out but ive tried a half dozen different mixes and watering strategies and i cant get the SOB to bloom. next i cook it
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 16 2006,11:50)]i suggest not getting it, its the most frustrating plant i own. i cant not get it to grow like a weed other than letting it dry out but ive tried a half dozen different mixes and watering strategies and i cant get the SOB to bloom. next i cook it
mad.gif
I grew mine like a nep, and it produced several flower stalks.
dewy

Yup. Tried growing it in nearly dry sand, full sun. Got scapes a plenty and all aborted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 16 2006,11:50)]i suggest not getting it, its the most frustrating plant i own. i cant not get it to grow like a weed other than letting it dry out but ive tried a half dozen different mixes and watering strategies and i cant get the SOB to bloom. next i cook it
mad.gif
I can make a few other suggestions for frustrating plants.... But I hear ya. Last year mine sent up a stalk and I could see a bud.... but I never saw a flower (just like sandersonii blue). And this year, as I write, again there are flower buds, but....

I'm guessing U. tricolor likes it hot?

-Ben

I tried frying my U. tricolor into flower. I posted a photo on this forum a few months ago outlining the stalks it was sending up in my "humidy Petiolaris Complex" terrarium. So far... more flower stalks (or some funky kind of growth in the high humid environment), but no flowers
smile_h_32.gif

So, given your in Montana, your "frying" method is different than mine. I so go for it! Like chloroplast says, just add some salt
smile_m_32.gif

-Homer

Chloroplast and Homer are both quite insane. Everyone knows if you add salt to the frying, tricolor will taste like chicken.

Back