What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. gibba help

Well I have had U. gibba for like 2 years. I have it in all my fish tanks, most of my daphnia cultures and they have been spreading everywhere. The only problem is I've never seen a single flower from them at all. Does anyone know how to make it flower? I really want to see it's flowers. Also if interested, I can probably trade some off for something
smile_n_32.gif

lower water level so its still very water logged but its not floating and also give it some full sun. that should be the trick!
good luck
alex

OH lower water levels. That is probably whats stopping it. I'll try it in a cup and see if it will start blooming there

It also likes to have some peat in the bottom of its tank to fasten itself to. Then it might start blooming. Also, warm temps around 80 degrees will also encourage it to bloom. But read this page. Go to the very bottom, and there's an article on making U. gibba flower.

-Ben

Substrate definitely helps induce scapes - I find LFS or sand works well - and of course the water level is important too. But to get it all the way through flowering, stable humidity seems to be important; it doesn't need to be especially moist, but I find that my U. gibba tends to drop its flowers whenever there's an unexpectedly dry day.
~Joe

I'm relatively new to aquatic Utrics... would substrate, lower water level, warm temps, and high light be a good general recipe for other aquatics?

Back