What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G. filliformis......anyone growing this PITA?

i think ive had this plant for like 2 and a half years now. at the moment i think its entire plant mass is taking up the space of about oh maybe 3 cubic millimeters if that. i never see it grow, i never see leaves die. it is just there like its in suspended animation. at one point it was about 4 times larger and i divided it and sent a piece to BobZ a long while back but since then its don nothing other than shrink a bit. anyone actually get this to do anything?

Mine grew slowly but well I think.  It never filled the pot it was in, but the rosettes kept increasing in size and density and  I flowered it.  Mine did best in terrarium culture always very wet and warm, with a good night time drop of a few degrees in a peat/sand mix, and as I recall the pot was the bottom of a clear plastic cup (the taller thin type) about 3 inches off the bottom with 4 drain holes melted in it.  Sat in tray water 1/2 inch and never wanted to be fussed with much. It was a wet grower.  I never repotted it, following the rule that if  it's growing, let it be.

well when i get my D. petiolaris complex tank set up i may move it than and see if its just a temp issue

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 22 2006,12:01)]... and i divided it and sent a piece to BobZ a long while back but since then its don nothing other than shrink a bit. anyone actually get this to do anything?
Unfortunately that piece did not survive the trip and transplant.

well if i can get it to do anything you will get a second chance. will set it in a hot and humid enviroment by thi weekend and see if it helps

I am growing mine (and all my Genlisea now) in pine bark mulch. You can get it at HD under the name Nature's Helper soil conditioner. Stange as it sounds this is the best media I have found for them and they grow like weeds in it (I have already had to repot and seperate my hybrid 3 times in less than a year!! ). The filiformis has always been a slow grower for me but it has continued on strong in theis media. It seems to like somewhat lower light conditions I find, always thriving best when it is shaded by another plants leaves or under stray sphag heads.

will look for the mulch and see if i cant rig up some shade.

well ill be darned, moved it in with the falconeri and paradoxa which are in high humidity and constant 89 degree temps and its doubled in size in a month though that aint saying much its still quite small. thanks for the tip.

Back