What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrestrial Utrics

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
In general, for terrestrial Utrics, which is more important to them - surface area or depth?

depends on what kind of depth your talking about and what species. calycifida and longifolia like much more room than most others, i have noticed tricolor and tridentata do to. i think Pyro told me at one point most of his terrestrials were in 2 inch pots. as long as you have an inch of soil most wont care. width is important for those ive listed. for most of the small lollon species it doesnt matter just divide often. i have also noticed that some need to be a bit crowded to flower, atleast if yah want them to flower sooner rather than later. i think the bit of stress kicks them into flowering mode.

inshort, do what yah want, most wont care in my experiance if crowded for very long tridentata and tricolor crash, longifolia and calycifida need room to run to keep them happy, i suggest a 3x3(surface area) pot as minimum for calycifida, bigger is better for longifolia im using an 8x8 tub

oh one last thing i didnt mention on a couple small lolloned species not sure how many ppl this effects though

aureomaculata(the sandersonii type growth clone): give it as much room as you can, this clone is reported to crash for no apparent reason. always keep as much of it going as you can. ive had it for over 2 years though it hasnt crashed yet i keep a close eye on it.

pauliniea: recommend atleast 3x3 for this small lolloned species. it proves to be a VERY slow grower from small divisions. it took me a year to get it to dividable size. the bigger pot yah can give this the better off i think you are cause you will have bigger divisions you can work from

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 23 2006,8:23)]i think Pyro told me at one point most of his terrestrials were in 2 inch pots.
I confirm that. The only "terrestrial" I don't have in a 2" pot is longifolia. Those are in 6" or larger pots. I even keep calycifida in 2" pots though they would probably like it better in something larger. I'd like it better too to tell the truth as it would mean I would not have to divide so often LOL

Why does confining their space often signal them to flower?

I don't know that it actually does. I have numerous plants blooming right now and they are no where near the edges of their pots.

so do i Pyro. what crowding does seem to do, atleast for some species, is the fact that the plant gets a signal that it can no longer spread via stollons and needs to flower if the plant is going insure the future of its genetics. but like Pyro said, being pot bound does not guarenttee flowers, nor is being pot bound the only way to get them to flower. plus like i said if some species are po bound for to long they crash so the smaller the pot the more yah have to divide

Back