What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My U. Gibba is flowering!

I was looking through my terrarium whne i noticed my U. gibba was producing these spirating stockes piersing through the film of the water and about half an inch high!
I thought it was actually going to die as the entire cup of water evaporated when a third of my collection was horribly burned by the incorect lights.

I will post pictures tonight around 7-ish

000_1112.jpg
000_1111.jpg
000_1110.jpg

btw thankes jimscott for the shipping container you used I found it very usefull!

I thought that container looked fimiliar. Jimscott sent me one that looked like that as well. They make great pots. Really great U. gibba! I can't get mine to flower at all... I've had them for so long I'd expect them to have flowered at least once...

You're very welcome!

Thats why i posted, if it were a livida most poeple wouldn't care as it is an easy flowerer but from what i heard gibba is hard to flower. I think having allowed the water to evaporate continuously might have stressed the plant into flowering.

I was never able to flower mine indoors, but outdoors it went crazy and put up 20 or so scapes.  Nice big flowers too!

Utricularia_giba_flower1r.jpg

The less water they have, the more likely to flower. Mine never flowers until the water levels are really low. Might be a survivial mechanism, but I don't know for sure.

Drying out is for sure a signal for flowering with this species, it's been well noted by many growers. Now if we could find the trigger for U. tricolor it would be grand.

I received a pinch of U. tricolor and it flowered, but I have my doubts as to its pedigree. It is probably only a calcyfida.
smile_h_32.gif

Back