What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. longifolia

It does not sound like you are growing longifolia, as the leaves on the species are not round, they are long and ribon-like. You may have tricolor, the grass being aborted flower stems...

could be longifolia...................mines currently got roundish lollons as well as the longer ribbon like ones

not exactly round but not all grass-like. If Sarracenia NW stuck a "U.longifolia" tab in the pot, I believe them. It looks just like the photos that I've seen (complete with absence of flowers!)

Grasslike invaders are likely to be either U. bisquamata or subulata. Here's a pic of U. longifolia:

IMG_0022.jpg

Mine looks a bit different. I have had it for a couple of years, but it is nowhere near the size of jimscott's:
100_5567.jpg

Does what you describe look like these?
100_5570.jpg

100_5569.jpg

I posted this elsewhere, but for a re-cap-

Mine is prettty huge, and it has flowered 2 years running.
I'ts in peat/sand in a south facing windowsill

It grows like MAD all summer, then in the fall it starts to look real crummy and ceases new growth (I'm thinking this is the "dormancy" referred to in the Savage Garden)

After months of looking like it's going to croak, it flowers, so don't give up on it- I think the crummy-looking phase encourages flowering- mine's in "spike" currently and the flowers shouled be opening in a week or two- hard to tell since the stalk gets REALLY tall before they open- I thought it had flowered clesitogamously last year but then suddenly BOOM big, HUGE, beautiful flowers

Carl, how are you watering it? Flooding?

CP30, I might be wrong, but isn't that U. praelonga in the last two pics?

Hey Jim, glad to run into ya in a thread finally!!

I have it in a tray, the water level can be as deep as 2.5" but I let it dry out then top it back up, I don't change that too much all year- tho in summer the frequency of fillings goes up thanks to evaporation, and I worry less about letting it dry out, so I guess I DO inadvertently give it a slightly drier winter period, but no actual "flooding"

Back