What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia?

I received the sundew in the picture last summer from a grower in LA who stated that it grew on his property and believed it to be D. brevifolia. I left it in its native soil and just potted around it. This summer all sorts of 'weird' things started to pop up out of the soil and I have been plucking them. I have never grown Utrics before so I just got thinking if the 'weird' things could be Utrics, and if so are they identifiable by this pic. Thanks

b5531cdc.jpg

have you checked for bladders? also with D. brevifolia. are you 100% sure it is? check the flower stalk. does it have hairs with dew on it? if not...then you dont have brevifolia. it looks alot like the one i have... once you get a good ID on yours...tell me ASAP!!! back to utrics. its hard to tell what they are without open flowers. once there are some open take a picture! to me right now they look like utrics.
Alex

You have been blessed by the ever so weedy Utricularia subulata. Those stalks are cleistogamous flowers which never open. The plant may produce some yellow flowers if and when the plant feels it. This is a very weedy species but does no harm unless you have other Utricularia in your collection...then the seed can make trouble. There are more chasmogamous clones that produce the open flowers, quite pretty actually.

Hey thanks Tamlin, I was kinda hoping to see the flowers that I guess will not open. Any ideas on whether or not that drosera is or is not D. brevifolia

U. subulata with location data
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back