What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Success with Utricularias

Hi:

I haven't been around for the past 6 months or more.  Had to have total knee reconstruction.  Still on walker after 4 months and no one seems able to get me out of pain.

Other people had to attempt to take care of my cp collection.  Of the 30 plants I had, I still have about 18 of them with 10 being UTRICULARIAS!

I seem to have good luck with these plants.  In fact most pots are sending up flowering stems right now with U. sandersonii in full bloom. This species didn't even seem to mind getting watered with city water a few times while I was hospitalized and in a rehab unit for a month.

My utricularias are growing in 3" pots sitting in a terrarium containing extremely wet spaghum moss. I use distilled water. Since I seem to have best luck with this genus, I am hoping to find a few more at reasonable prices before October.

It's good to be back here.  I've missed talking about these fascinating plants.  Am also eagerly awaiting the two new books on CPS being published in September.

My utricularias are growing in 3" pots sitting in a terrarium containing extremely wet spaghum moss. I use distilled water.

sounds like ideal conditions. if yah want something new and unique ive got aureomaculata that needs dividing.

i feel your pain, going to have a bit of torn cartilage removed in a few weeks. been torn since Jan. but iz been to stubborn to believe it was anything but bruised. under the knife i go.

I hope I don;t meen to step on any toes Rattler, but ya got enough for two devisions/plugs?
smile_m_32.gif

CM have you got a list of the utrics you have? If any of mine you don;t have I would be more than happy to send you a plug too. Some of mine are filling 4 inch clay pots now. If the new ones I just recieved fill in quickly your more than welcome to some of those too.

i might..........its a tad uncommon though and will have to demand a NoID orchid
smile_n_32.gif
im swamped this week, pm me your addy and ill get it out next week

You have a PM rattler.

CM Im not trying to take your offer frin ya momma.
smile_n_32.gif
I asked if there were two. He ffered you one first and I hope you accept it and he is stil offering it to ya. As a matter of fact I am possotive he is. My offer to you still stands too.

yes my offer still stands. the aureomaculata is a weed for me(unfortunatly not so for some others) and i have atleast 2 good divisions at the moment

Hey Diana, good to have ya back! I went through knee surgery 3 years ago (ACL / Mensicus). not quite the same thing, but a challenging time period - especially the PT. Glad to hear that your Utrics are doing well. The forum member called Pyro once told me that Utrics may not do much the year you get them, but can do great things the following year. I found a lot of truth to that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pyro once told me that Utrics may not do much the year you get them, but can do great things the following year

very true, though there is variation. uniflora did nothing for me for a year now its constantly in bloom(wonderful flowers on this one, well worth the wait). livida started blooming within 2 months and 2 and a half years later im still staring at pauliniea willing it to send up one of its gorgous flowers that i have seen in pictures but nothing yet. Utrics can be frustrating........4 years later and tricolor STILL ISNT BLOOMING!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Utrics can be frustrating........4 years later and tricolor STILL ISNT BLOOMING!
mad.gif
wow...you know what would be funny is if some newbie(cough cough glider cough) got Tricolor to flower and just not stop flowering. does any one know why it doesnt flower?
alex

LOL yeah Jim was teasing me on that, he thought his was going to flower, serves me right since i give him crap because I CAN BLOOM SANDERSONII 'BLUE' AND HE CANT!!

i was discussing it with Tamlin some months back, he assures me it does bloom. a fellow down in Aussie land (or was it England?) blooms it quite regularilly IIRC. its just normally a pain though some can get it to bloom most every year. ill figure it out at some point.

'Blue' got as far as 2 stalks with teardrop flower buds - but I never saw any flowers. Maybe next year....

next year? mine always has a flower Jim
smile_n_32.gif

*rattler_mt patiently waits for a pipette container to be thrown in his general direction*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Aug. 22 2006,9:51)]next year? mine always has a flower Jim
smile_n_32.gif

*rattler_mt patiently waits for a pipette container to be thrown in his general direction*
LOL! In addition to the pipette containers are flowering P. primuliflora and D. adelae!

Strausplants0211.jpg

Pinguicula_primuliflora.jpg

And BTW, hold onto that bottom dollar!
smile_n_32.gif
Gotta love the friendly competition!

now Jim thats just cruel and unusual, what will all the newbies think of me and my great Utric growing abilities if i cant keep adelae and primuliflora alive? your making me look bad dang it
smile_n_32.gif

SEE WHAT YOU DID JIM!! the newbies are making fun of me................it just aint right.......................
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Aug. 23 2006,12:50)]now Jim thats just cruel and unusual, what will all the newbies think of me and my great Utric growing abilities if i cant keep adelae and primuliflora alive? your making me look bad dang it
smile_n_32.gif
Just mention streams & cobra lilies & experiments (oh my!) - and they'll all flock to me!
smile.gif

Not the plant that I posted, but the original primuliflora, had a string of 8 clowers, before it took a breather.

Rattler, here's mine one week after I got it (that's a record for me
smile_n_32.gif
).

141268255O220038833.jpg

it usually takes mine 4 weeks to keel over

I've had mine since around the beginning of March, still alive and kicking.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

Back