What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARGH!!!!

glider14

Always a newbie
this is driving me insane! WHY CANT I GET MY SANDERSONII TO BLOOM! you all talk about how your sanders are in full bloom....since i got it, not even an attempt for a stalk. i looked about a week ago and i noticed small strands coming out of the top of the pot and they got taller and taller...they were just the uhh....runners?? i heard U sandersonii will bloom under just about anything...thats why i got it. its in a 29gal terrarium with 2 3ft flourescent blulbs(cool). temps and humidity are usually the same at 70-80. what is the matter with this utric?
Alex

They don't flower all the time. It might take a while. Are the stolons (leaf things) longer than normal? Are they kind of leggy?

-Ben

Alex is it in a pot? How big is the pot? When I got mine I had it in a little ziplock bowl that fit in the top of a masson jar so I could watch the traps grow down into the water. It flowered some, but the like everything else I had potted that way stopped growing and flowering. Then I reansplanted that into a 6 inch clay pot and it TOOK off. Its flowering again. Not as much as another I have, but its flowering. I have read before these guys don;t like to be pot bound. Maybe thats the problem? Also mine is getting full sun a few hours a day out in the GH.

I'm assuming you have the white form? Give it time. They can take awhile (months) before they get adjusted to their environment. Here's a 2 year old pic:

U.jpg

Jim: yes it is.
JB: yes it is. its in a 9oz tumbler glass.
Drosera36: what do you mean?
ill give it time...hopefully soon ill be able to have some flowers to show!
Alex

Is it at least spreading? Some Utrics will flower when they reach the end of their container or are suddenly flooded with water.

its growing and spreading but not yet at the edge of the container. it has been flooded before.

Give it more time. If the photoperiod is an issue for the rest of the year, I'd bet Sheridan's bottom dollar that they will flower next spring!  
smile.gif

Here's a recent quote from a very experienced hobbyist (Aidan):

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are of course exceptions. Some Utricularia for example are unlikely to flower until they are pot-bound.

Glider, I was just asking if it looked like the leaves were streching towards the light. They might need to be propped up closer to the light if they're doing that.

-ben

dang it Jim quit messing with my money...............iz got plans for it.

im with Jim, give it some more time. sandersonii can be odd, it has no definate lollon shape, you can get it to grow in odd places(ex. the OUTSIDE of a pot) and yah never know when it will flower. sometimes it demands to be potbound first, sometimes it doesnt. its just moody. once it decides to throw up its first flower though watch out cause you will more than likely soon have a hundred

Are you sure we're talking about a plant?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Aug. 22 2006,7:34)]Glider, I was just asking if it looked like the leaves were streching towards the light. They might need to be propped up closer to the light if they're doing that.

-ben
no the stolons are pretty close to the soil.

if the lollons arent stretching and its growing, just leave it be, it will bloom for yah, just give it time.

Back