What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comparison of flowers (U. dichotoma)

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
Left flower was produced in higher light levels after I replaced bulbs and increased wattage, right was flower produced in lower light.

dichotomaflower4.jpg

Left has darker color, shorter stem, opposite with right flower.

-Ben

niffty!

Again, nicely done! You're getting to be as good as the Rattler! I'd be happy if mine would bloom, in addition to spreading.

Aww Jim, I'm not that good. I just leave 'em alone most of the time. Do you flood yours? Mine likes that.

-Ben

Not as much as I should. I concentrate on flooding the sandersonii blue and longifolia, but the others.

Nice! That same effect happens with orchids as well. If I bring an orchid in that just opened a few flowers and still has developing buds the later flowers are considerably smaller and lighter in color than the first ones to open. Its rather interesting how you can influence flower color that way. That reminds me to make a note to reduce light on a vanda I recently purchased. It had blue flowers when I bought it, and it rebloomed for me and these flowers are more purple. Too much light. I really wanted the blue flowers thats why I bought it!

How come ya flood your longifolia? I thought they liked it a bit on the dryer side.

JB_OrchidGuy, that's interesting. Maybe a lot of these cps that are claimed cultivars for their flowers are really just not getting enough light or vice versa.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Aug. 27 2006,10:58)]How come ya flood your longifolia? I thought they liked it a bit on the dryer side.

JB_OrchidGuy, that's interesting. Maybe a lot of these cps that are claimed cultivars for their flowers are really just not getting enough light or vice versa.

-Ben
probably not... look at D. capensis "albino". there is no red anywhere on it. the only color on it is the light pink tentacle glands

Oh, I didn't mean D. capensis, I meant certain plants that are only different because of their flowers. It was just a guess anywho.

-Ben

From what I've been reading, U. longifolia likes it swampy.

Oh, ok. I just thought that since it's kinda like an epiphyte, it would like it more airy, which is why I keep mine in shallow water, and overhead water all the time. Maybe I should keep them more wet? They're growing like mad though.

-Ben

Back