What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Utric questions

flytraplady5

Hort. School dropout X 2
First question:
Does anyone else have a U. X "jitka"
If so how, do you grow it successfully.
Second question.
How do you keep your terrestrial utricularias pure? that is keep them from mixing together. i.e. keeping bisquamata out of everything else. keeping dichotoma where you want it.

Okay so I have a 3rd question.
Is U. blanchettii an annual?
and then a 4th question. What does U.endressii look like, Have tried it twice not sure what to expect.
Thanx in advance for any and all answers.
Lois

1) I have 'Jitka' and I grow it like all my other Orchidioides group Utrics. There are a couple threads where I have gone into a lot of detail but basically it is a modified "Slack"-type potting; live sphag in a half height net orchid pot that is set within a full size standard pot. I have pics I can email you if you want more detail.

2) I keep my terrestrials pure by pulling rogue elements out whenever I see them. Tredious but it is the only way that works for me.

3) U. blanchettii was not an annual in my hands

4) U. endresii looks fairly similar to U. alpina or praetermissa except the flower is mauve/lilac instead of white. Again, I have a pic somewhere if you would like me to email it.

Hey there Pyro,
Thanx so much for all the info.
I use cut off 2 liter bottles and place them over the top of a 4 inch pot. Kinda like a small terrarium.Seems to work well except for those that somehow were exposed to too much heat/ sun.
Lois

Yeah, they definitly don't like heat. I grow mine in my crawlspace with my high elevetion NEps and Helies. They grow like weeds there

Pyro, I was wondering, did you write that article about Utricularia jamesoniana in the ICPS newsletter?

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Sep. 08 2006,4:00)]Pyro, I was wondering, did you write that article about Utricularia jamesoniana in the ICPS newsletter?
Guilty as charged
smile.gif

THough I do have to say that in the time between when I wrote the article and now I have switched up the conditions for jamesoniana (again.) It (and all the Orchidioides) will grow as I have outlined in the article but I like my new way more.

Hey Pyro,
I have done a search for the slack-method of growing utrix. but came up empty. Do you have the thread ,how to do this, book marked somewhere. I would really appreciate a link to this thread.
Thanx bunches
Lois

Hey Lois,

I don't have it bookmarked and it is not a specific thread about the method, it is just mentioned in one of the threads. If you search only the Utric forum for posts with my user name it should limit the possibilities. Might be one of my picture threads...

Ok, I knew you had to have written it because you said you "grow mine in my crawlspace with my high elevetion Neps and Helies," which is what it said in the article, and it just clicked in my mind.
smile.gif

-Ben

Hey there Travis,
Thanx for the link. I am going to try it that way starting tomorrow. I jest got some U. aspendii 2 weeks ago.
I have to look and see if my Jitka is still alive.
Thanx again for the info
Lois

Hey Lois,

No problem. I do want to say that this is not the one and only method and that other work too. I used to grow in pots half filled with orchid bark and then topped off with live sphag. And before that I grew them in my Nep mix. I know growers who just use full sized pots of live sphag and growers who use only peat. They key factor is to not keep them too wet. Above all other things they hate wet feet.

Back