What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to grow Orchidioides

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Well, I have gotten so many questions about this that I decided to just make a thread.

I described the idea behind this in some past threads but pictures speak volumes where words can not articulate. So here are the pics:

I thread a few strands of sphag through the bottom of the half height net pot

Slack%20potting%20Utrics%205.JPG

Pot up the plant in live sphag

Slack%20potting%20Utrics%204.JPG

And then insert the the basket into a standard pot

Slack%20potting%20Utrics%202.JPG

The whole then gets set in a shallow tray (2-3cm deep). I usually let the water dry before adding more and when I do I top water so that the excess whater runs out/down the threaded sphag and keeps the "wick"-effect functional.

I grow all my Orchidioides section (and the hybrid U. quelchii x humboldtii) this way with the exception of U. jamesoniana. For this plant I use the same basic set-up but instead of live sphag as a media I line the basket with long fibre sphag and then fill with a media of either peat/sand or pine bark mulch. I do this because U. jamesoniana is so small it tends to be overgrown by live sphag.

Hope you all enjoy

was wondering when you were going to do this
smile_n_32.gif

BTW ship what you were planning whenever, ill be around til middle of Oct. than hunting season opens and all bets are off as to my exact wear abouts till the end on Nov
smile_n_32.gif
must fill several freezers this year and im out of mince meat pie filling
smile_k_ani_32.gif
mad.gif

and the conditions you grow them in is....what? can any of them be grow well on a windowsill? and does U. longifolia(a part of the group right?) form tubers and go dormant?
Alex

nope, nope, and nope.

oh boy... wait what was the 3rd no for...i only asked two yes/no questons

can any of them be grow well on a windowsil? if you have a cool window try alpina, its about the hardiest. good luck finding some though. oddly enough the humboldtii i just got is adapting to an open shelf just fine, didnt think it would but its doing pretty good though the lolons are smaller......

reguarding longifolia, its not an Orchidioides Utric, not sure where it fits but IIRC its not an Iperua Utric either which is what humboldtii, nephrophylla and nelumbifolia ect are.

form tubers: nope
go dormant: nope

Not orchidioides, one nope. tubers, second nope, dormant, third nope.

Beside nope is a fun word. like snorkel.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 19 2006,9:53)]Not orchidioides, one nope. tubers, second nope, dormant, third nope.

Beside nope is a fun word. like snorkel.
and vodka...i love that word..but hate the drink(now anyways haha)
Alex

Vodka.... the thought of fermenting potato is a turn-off. I prefer tequila (Viva la agave azul!!!!) or rum.

tequila....................rum.......................your just wrong............GOOD vodka is the way to go

let me make a correction to my post(haha) vodka is good stuff. i just dont want to be a drinker so i only have a tiny bit when we have parties(parents parties not my friends). Smirnof Rasberry ....yum
Alex

Smirnoff? ack..................try Grey Goose, Van Gogh, even Stoli is pretty good

Vodka and I do not get along!  If I get drunk on Vodka I tend to not remember anything from the time I get drunk till the next morning!  Its happened twice so far and I stay away from it.  The first time should have been enough!  Although i thoguht it was from drinking period.  Nope its the vodka!  The first time After vomiting all over myself from 25 screwdriver shots and one shot straight, I did a few things I don;t remember but was told I did.  One included walking out of the bathroom naked and trying to talk to my friends mother.  This was after my friends gave me a shower and I ripped the sink off the wall.  LOL  Like I said I don;t remember much of that night.  The next morning they locked me in the house and I was still having to vomit so I had to run through the house to the bathroom.  Ouch that night hurt.  The next time my sister had to put me in bed.  I don't remember that night either.  Yet I can drink 12+ beers or drink alot of jack, or heck even half a litter of Jose with my father and still remember everything.  Vodka is just EVIL!!  Dang Russions for making that stuff!  It might not be so bad if I didn;t get REAL drunk on the stuff, but I take no chances.  Because I put drinks down pretty regularly and by the time I start feeling it I have had too much.  LOL  Thats why I prefured MJ when I was younger  Just one or two and I was done.  LOL

Pyro thanks for the pictorial example. Is there a list someplace of the ones in that group so I know what needs to be planted that way? I love seeing how other people do things.

Hey there Pyro.
Thanx for starting the thread and all the Gr8 pictures.
The rest of you guys need to stay away from psychologists cause they would have a field day with the way you play word association games.lol

Lois.... don't say Word A ssociation around here!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I've got U alpina growing at an open window sill. This came from Pyro. I'll be moving it to a cold/cool window sill for the winter.

Alright, lots of questions and so lots of answers.

First off, Rattler is correct that U. alpina can be grown on a windowsill. I have one here at the lab and it is doing very well. I have also, in the past, succeeded with U. asplundii though it required more attention. I also have U. humboldtii (Ipuera group) growing in a window here.

My growing conditions are highland oriented. Here in Atlanta the heat is pretty beastly in the summer so I use my crawlspace as a grow area. The temps in there are a fairly stable 68-75 year round. Light used to be by 2 shoplight pairs but I just switched up to a 400W HID track system. Photoperiod is 13/11 year round. Humidity is not very high in the crawlspace, maybe 50% but the local humidity around the plants is probably higher because of the trays and sphag. And I discussed my watering technique in the first post.

As for U. longifolia, this plant is neither Orchidioides nor Iperua. I can not remember what section it is off the top of my head but it is one of the terrestrial ones. U. longifolia can be grown in a window easily enough. And U. longifolia does actually have a dormancy but it is a very subtle one and unless you know what to look foir you would never know it. Growing 5 different clones has cued me in to what to look for. The dormancy tends to be short, I have never had it last more than 2 months. During this phase all growth ceases and there is an occasional die back of foliage. It is also during this phase that the plant seems most prone to that odd grey fungus.

Now, JB asked for a list of species. So here goes.

Section Orchidioides is:

U. alpina
U. endresii
U. praetermissa
U. unifolia
(not to be confused with U. uniflora, the Australian species related to U. dichotoma)
U. asplundii
U. jamesoniana
U. quelchii
U. campbelliana
U. buntingiana

All of the above except for U. buntingiana are in cultivation though some are very rare.

And section Iperua is:

U. humboldtii
U. reniformis
U. nelumbifolia
U. geminiloba
U. nephrophylla

And I think that covers everything

I stand corrected! thanks for the info Pyro!

Yes Pyro thanks for the info!! Where could I obtain a full list of species Utrics?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And U. longifolia does actually have a dormancy but it is a very subtle one and unless you know what to look foir you would never know it. Growing 5 different clones has cued me in to what to look for. The dormancy tends to be short, I have never had it last more than 2 months. During this phase all growth ceases and there is an occasional die back of foliage. It is also during this phase that the plant seems most prone to that odd grey fungus.
I have had all of those things happen...even the grey fungus that appears from nowhere.
and what is the difference between Orchidioides and Iperua groups? flower structure?
Alex

Aww this explains why the U. humboltii is so happy growing in the tank of a bromeliad down at floor level. And it croaked up on top shelf of green house.
Thanx again Pyro

Back