What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

could i? should i? would i?

hi everyone!
so i have this big ole pot that i had sarrs in last year. all except one died over the winter and spring, and i'm thinking that i should maybe try some utrics in it. the problem is that i don't know much about them (nothing really).

i was thinking that i could just get some and plant them in the existing soil mix and be good..? mix is a typical sarr mix. am i crazy for thinking this? is it even possible? what kinds would work?
keep in mind that i'd be working with a varying water table (under 2" of water at time, no added water for 2 weeks at other times). the pot is about 3' in diameter and 3' tall, with the base tapering to about 1.75' wide. i'm in ohio, and i'd be looking for something that would work in full sun.

questions, comments and recomendations?

thanks for reading my babbling!
tech...

itll work! i have mine growing in a mix of peat,sand, and lfs. i dont know the ratios but they are about even. although utrics are nothing really until they flower, they are very neat to watch spread and grow.
Alex

I spose it would work, put some U. subulata in there, and they'll take over! I'm not sure how other species might react to the winter in Ohio, maybe try some U. livida and see how that goes. You might want to give them more water than what you have because they are water-loving plants.

-Ben

I haven't found them to be picky about soil media, but then again, I tend to mix sand, peat, and dried LFS. The easiest and most rewarding plants would be U. sandersonii, livida, bisquamata, arenaria, and warburgii. They will all flower for you. U subulata is way too successdul and annoying to have!

some of us work very hard to keep subulata OUT OF our collections. check out the species Jim listed, i second his recommendations

I would also add dichotoma as a possibility. There are a numbe of different forms, some of which come from higher elevations and as such can take it a little colder

Back