What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My U. calycifida is blooming!

I'm pretty sure my U. calycifida is sending up a flower stalk because there is a little ball-ish thing in the growth crown thing of one of the plants, and it is not a leaf, I'm sure. It's still really small, but I used a magnifying glass, and I'm pretty sure that that's what it is. Sorry for being kinda hyper over something so small, but I'm just happy that finally something blooms with bigger flowers than U. dichotoma which won't stop. I'll post pics soon. Oh, and thanks Pyro! I'm surprised that I've only had it a month and it decides to bloom.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

No need to thank me, it is a weed and I had pleanty to spare.

As for flowes being larger than dichotoma... Don't expect much bigger as they are prety close in size. But they deffinitly bloom for longer. I have ha done bloom constantly for 8 mionths

Eh, a nice weed at least. I know, they're not much bigger than U. dichotoma, but that's all that I've had blooming for the past like 5 months. It seems to grow "runners" like crazy. The plug is like toward one corner of the pot, and then a little leaf pops up a bit away from the main plug. Kinda interesting.

-Ben

i musta had a small flowered form of dichotoma cause my calycifida always had bigger flowers than my dichotoma. the dichotoma had pretty large traps for its lolon size though which was pretty cool.

Well, what I can see from pics is that a U. calycifida flower is about the size of one's thumbnail. I suppose I was exaggerating saying that they aren't much bigger, but now that I look at mine, it seems that they kinda are.

-Ben

Pics

calycifida1.jpg

Random runner leaves:

calycifida2.jpg

calycifida3.jpg

Yeah, I'm a bit uh, "observative" (flower bud on the right):

calycifida4.jpg

-Ben

if yah have small thumbs
smile_n_32.gif
mine run about the size of my little fingers nail. is that a 3.5/4 inch pot?

K, maybe so, I don't know, I just saw a pic with the flowers and some guy's hand.

It's one of those CC pots, maybe 4 inches. Why? Is that bad?

-Ben

BTW, excellent photos, wish mine turned out that well half the time need to have you come take pics of my Utric flowers. its definatly going to bloom.

if yah want an easy growing Utric with large flowers, try uniflora, it gets flowers bout twice the size of calycifida and has small lollons
9d8c55c3.jpg

its a 4 inch pot? dang..............your lollons are running twice the size of those on mine, very cool

The larger ones are only like a centimeter or more across.
smile.gif
I've thought of U. uniflora, but I don't like Utrics with high flower stalks, don't know why, which is why I chose U. calycifida. I also tend to like large-"leafed" utrics.

-Ben

you sound as picky as me
smile_n_32.gif

anyways, once again excellent photos

Lol.

Thanks, it's really just the fact that it has an EXTREMELY good macro, down to 1cm.

-Ben

K, here's an update. But still, after 3 weeks, I would have expected more FLOWER growth....dang thing spreads quick...

dscn2391.jpg

DSCN2392.jpg

-Ben

it likes to take its time doesnt it!

Sure does. I think I'll have to divide it up before the first flower even opens!

-Ben

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111

DSCN2408.jpg

dscn2410.jpg

I think it's U. calycifida 'Asenath Waite'. Thanks a bunch Pyro!

-Ben

Well done, Ben!

Good job Ben.
looks like you have the right spot for that plant. Gr8 pix too.
Lois

This utric also jumps pots. I haven't had U. calycifida for a long time, and never in this pot, but it just popped up recently. This still has the labeled D. burmanii in it, among other things that just sort of migrated in.

U.jpg

Capslock

Back