What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. alpina photos...............no flowers

i actually had some time last night and was playing with the camera........pics will be scattered everywhere

U. alpina tubers
IMG_0342.jpg

U. alpina growing in a dart frog tank
IMG_0361.jpg

and U. humboldtii doing its thing
IMG_0343.jpg

oooohhhh
oh.gif

I love U. humboldtii

lol i like it to, hope it flowers, otherwise its going to take up ALOT of space and not look like much..................for size referance the tank beside it is a 10 gal............

holy poop
oh.gif
oh.gif

Those are huge!

How bug are the traps?

cool pics! I like the tubers on the U. alpina. Are you sure that's the true U. humboltii? I've had mine for a couple months now, and it seems a little different. The leaves on mine are rounder and its making all these fern-like runner/stolon things by which it spreads.

Is that a bromeliad in the dart frog tank? Maybe you could set a utric in there...

Peter

yes it is most definatly U. humboldtii, however its a different clone than most out there. im guessing this clone is one that grows next to streams as it definatly likes being soaked in a heavy soil(its in mostly pure peat). both Pyro and i have noticed it really doesnt like being grown like its reletives in lighter soil mixes. a friend has a different clone that is smaller that he has grown in brom's in dart tanks. however i dont think this clone would do well in there and my broms are to small for nelumbifolia

You learn something new every day. I never knew there were different froms of U. humboltii. I've got mine in waterlogged LFS and its making as many stolons as leaves. I'll get some pics once it gets a little more established.

Peter

dont have my copy of Taylors here at work but it lists a range of places they grow, the two that stick out in my mind though are in brom's and alongside streams. given this clones preferance for heavy, soaked soil versus the lighter water logged LFS that most grow the species in leads me to think it might be a more terrestrial form. the clone a friend has grown in brom's in his dart frog tanks also is the one most are growing in waterlogged LFS as its quite happy there aswell(hope to get this clone next spring/summer if he has extras)

I think "clone" might be a better term than "form". Form implies that it is one of a stable population or somesuch, clone just revolves around this one plant. Just my opinion on that though.

The origin of this clone is somewhat sketchy. The person Rattler and I originally got the plant from has told me the person who collected it (and no I will not disclose that) but he has been unable to get anything more precise out of that person. So whether it is a clone with more terrestrial habits is debatable though I do agree with Rattler's assesment.

One thing is for certain, of the 3 clones I have this one is the largest I have ever seen when mature.

Back