What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expanding collection, need help choosing

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Shameless rehash of what was in the sundew forum:
After years of stagnation in the collection growth department, I am finally deciding to expand my CP collection. Yes the years of my plants persisting in acceptable condition and in some cases growing large (atleast, until recently- but that is another story) So new plants this spring. Despite my never having had my D. capensis actually flower in years I have grown them, I am happy with them.

I wish to have a some easy terrestrial species, so....
Im starting slow. But I cant decide which to get so im starting this thread. Could you please tell me your experienced and opinions about the two following plants:
Utricularia sandersonii
U. livida

Thank you!

U. livida is a crazy beast. Mine was in a huge pot, and it flowered like crazy, and also spread pretty crazzily too. The flowers tended to last around a month each.

Here I'm holding it, my fingers are holding it weird 'cause I was trying not to spazz while my picture was being taken.

meutric.jpg

-Ben

They are too easy so I killed them. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Actually they aren't dead yet, but they are waiting for any excuse to die on me.
mad.gif

Edit: That's right Ben, rub it in!
nana.gif

<div>
(BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 31 2006,4:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Edit: That's right Ben, rub it in!
nana.gif
</div>
banana2.gif

-Ben

Both are very easy. If you're looking for some good starters, you found them.

Cole

i have both. but i have the blue form of sandersonii not the regular form. i have yet to see my livida flower. but my sandersonii was a knock out!! the blooms are more...."full" than the normal form. i only got 13 flowers. if you look at anyone else they have a count into the 30s
Alex

I say "Go Aquatic" I grow U. Gibba & U. Inflata in two seperate glass cookie-jars with a thin layer of peat at the bottom and a layer of sand over that to hold it down.
Aquatic Bladderworts is where it's at! I don't get the terrestrial buisiness...

I would also add bisquamata, warburgii, and dichotoma - and they will also flower easily.

Drosera36, thanks. That picture of yours seals the deal. Im gonna get a U. livida this spring.

Thank you!

livida and sandersonii are great ones to start with(they were my first). your third species for something a bit different i would suggest U. calycifida specifically the 'Yog Sothoth' cultivar.....flowers quite a bit and is distinctly different from the other two both in leaf size and shape and coloring/size of flowers.

Back