What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. sandersonii - standard and blue forms

Cindy

Staff member
The standard form has been doing very well and flowering at my balcony with 80-90degF. The blue form is new but was grown by a friend in aircon conditions with maybe 65-75degF. Now I have both forms at my balcony. Does the blue form need cooler conditions or will it do as well as the standard in warmer conditions?

Standard
sandersonii_r1.jpg

sandersonii_r11.jpg

Blue
sandersonii_r2.jpg

sandersonii_r3.jpg

Ah, they are beautiful, Cindy! What are your growing conditions for the blue form? Are they kept flooded or just periodically? High light? Warm temps?

aww poor jim cant bloom his blue form for nothing.... i got mine to bloom just a little while ago. yours should bloom if its in the same conditions as the other one... mine is in intermediate-like conditions. its actually blooming right now! good luck with yours Cindy....and Jim :)
Alex

what works for one works for the other, just remember the blue form doesnt put on the show the regular form does so if the blue is only putting out a couple of flowers your doing things right. in the 4 inch pots i use the standard form will put out a hundred or more flowers. the blue form might have a dozen.

The blue form came with 2 open flowers and a bud. Now that it is at my balcony, the flowers fell off and the bud ain't opening. The leaves are growing but they seem smaller and almost like the ones on my standard form (the blue form came with leaves about 3 times that of the standard form!).

the size of the leaves has to do with the amount of light it gets. they should be the same size in the same light. if you moved it to a new area its normal for the blooming to stop for awhile

I was the one who gave Cindy the blue form of the sandersonii. In fact, it is the same flower stalk that I had posted earlier here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106224

I grow the colony under a PL blub of 11W if that is helpful. It is grown in my office that is airconditioned ca. 23-24 degree celcius between 8AM to 10PM daily.

Rattler you could have fooled me!!! I have the blue form even though it was just sent to me as sandersonii and it is flooded with flowers!!!!!! I will have to take a picture of it, but the 4 inch pot is just covered in flowers. I have been giving away several plugs of it with flower stalks.

I growe mine in my GH with everything else. Just two layers of plastic now. During the winter I do not have the shade cloth on. It is in a cooler corner of my GH close to the intake vent. The temps get down to the 50's at night and hasn't gotten over 80 very much since it got cold. Maybe you are not getting it cool enough.

I will have to take a picture of mine then since it is definately the blue form. Now I need a standard form. LOL

Josh, why are you sure its the blue form? just curious..............the standard form defiantly has color under good light. also what do you mean by flooded? there is a difference between the two forms as far as number of flowers. if you dont have the standard form and havent seen what a 4 inch pot of this can do its hard to call a pot of the blue form flooded with flowers. i can see a pot of the blue form having alot of flowers but i still think it will pale in comparison to the standard form going nuts.

cant wait to see pics

Lower light might produce bigger foliage, and higher light smaller- it happens with some plants when grown in shade all the time

Is this the blue form or not???

186690520O709053743.jpg

186690521O472356311.jpg

186690527O806401882.jpg

186690543O404908673.jpg

As you can see from the first picture I have given away a chunk of the pot. Those areas were also covered in flowers just like the rest. Is this pot going nuts like I described? It is definately better then just the few flowers Sheridan was talking about. So my next logical question would be is this the "blue" form or just the standard form grown in high light? Because I admitantly grow my Utrics in my GH with my orchids. Right now there is no chade cloth on the GH and only two layers of plastic so that cuts down on the light a little. What do the experts think??

You know I was thinking that same thing after I posted the pics and then went back and studied Cindy's pics. The name "blue" is misleading and the main reason for the misunderstanding I had. It needs to be made into a var. instead of calling it the "blue" form. Especialy when the standard form can exibit the same blue color too. So Rattler sorry bro it looks like mine is a heavily blue standard. Now I have to find someone willing to send or trade for the blue form! LMAO

looks like a regular standard form. like i said no where does it say the standard formis without color. the standard form is generally patches of more lavendar where the blue form is generally completly a light blue everywhere, not to mention that the "apron" and spur are both different shapes

I realize that now. :blush: The name was just misleading is all. I think I have ti straight now. I figured the standard form was white is all.

no problem, you far from the first person to make that assumpsion...........

Back