What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UFLU!!! Unidentified Flowerless Utric!!!

yeah for some reason in almost all of my pots I have these Utric flower stems that arise and are completely flowerless, but they still have mature/maturing seed pods.

Does anyone know what this might be? I have it everywhere, and I think that Glider got some of it along with the D. filiformis that I sent him

U. subulata.

really?
Well then I guess that the other utric that I found invading my collection isn't U. subulata or U. bisquamata

mine has also sent up little stalks with brown pods. i guess we have the same thing!
Alex

Well I mean I'm not 100% sure lol. It's just that U. subulata does this and is very common.

I'm not into utrics so I don't know if other species are cleistogamous. It's probably U. subulata, though.

If it looks like narrow blades of grass and its indestructible even in soap water, then it's subulata...

Odds are it is subulata, very few others are as prolifically cleistogamous as subulata

I think that I finally see a flower coming up!!!
I'll check what it looks like.

Thanks! I bet it is U. subulata

Is it a yellow flower? Not that it is conclusive, but the rest of the description realy points to U. subulata. That's the dandelion of the CP word - pretty yellow flower and way too successful for its own good.

well the flower actually turned out to be just another seed pod :-(

I wish that I could figure out what it is

this is what i have. Dave also has this cause i got it from him.
IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

the weed in the weed...D. burmanni
IMG_1013.jpg

in the stalk photo. there was this drop of sticky studd in the crotch of the flower. i touched it and it came off though :D

Alex

do you have it submerged in water?

the ones that I have are growing terrestrially.
I think that I read in The Savage Garden about an utric that has those sticky globuals between the flowers.

yup. submerged in water. most of my utrics grow like that....except for U. calycifida which grows up...not across (and making people jealous all at the same time! :-)) )

the ones with the glue are in fact U. subulata, Dave.
Alex

so, there we go!

it's officially U. subulata!!!

Back