What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda flowers

Has anybody here had their aldrovanda flower, and, if so, what conditions did you have it under or did you do anything special to it?

Aldrovanda05.jpg

flower2.jpg

Wow. I heard that it's really hard to make these things flower. How did you make them open? Excellent work

LOL. I haven't made mine flower yet. These pictures I got from the websites printed on them. I was just using them as a visual aid.:-)). But has somebody here gotten theirs to flower?

I got information from Chuck7935 about how he has gotten aldrovanda to flower at a fairly high rate. "Put a bunch of money in a metal halide 400w broad spectrum haning light, that gave me the best coloration in a short time-however the cost of operation here in Colorado required me to take it down. The only thing you had to watch with the pendant MH was the heat-they like it warm but not hot, plus the algae loves it as well-the worst enemy of alro I have found."

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this while reading about this plant...

"The water temperature during the growing season must be at least 16°C (61°F) with 32°C (90°F) as a maximum, but ideal temperatures are 23-30°C (73-86°F) (Saito, 1972). The lower the water temperature, the slower the growth, and the carnivorous activity of Aldrovanda will be reduced. Prolonged water temperatures of 29-31°C (84-88°F) cause the Waterwheel Plant to flower (Saito, 1972). Prevent overheating by shading; in overheated water algae might become a serious problem. In colder regions the water temperature can be kept high by protecting the container from the wind by insulating or burying it and by covering it with glass."

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com/aldrovanda/papers_online/Breckpot_1997.htm

Nate.

You are one fortunate hobbyist! Geat job!

I've heard the same thing, higher temperatures will promote flowering. This plant biologist at UConn, a CP expert, mentioned this to me. I grow mine at 80-85 degrees F and get flowers regularly.

...at least I see the buds, and see the closed flowers with petals, and I got black seeds from them. But, I'm still having a problem actually getting them to open, or at least witnessing them open. Maybe they are only open a few hours a day? Plus they are at the top of my aquarium, it's difficult to look down to see whether the flowers opened or not without removing the light fixture, etc.

Now, germinating the seeds, that's the tough part I've been told! I've had no success.

LOL. I haven't made mine flower yet. These pictures I got from the websites printed on them. I was just using them as a visual aid.:-)). But has somebody here gotten theirs to flower?

Haha.

Other growers and Wikipedia have told me the same thing concerning the time the flowers open. Quoting Wiki:

"The small, solitary white flowers of A. vesiculosa are supported above the water level by short peduncles which arise from whorl axes. The flower only opens for a few hours, after which the structure is brought back beneath the water level for seed production. The seeds are cryptocotylar, meaning that the cotyledons remain hidden within the seed coat and serve as energy storage for the seedlings."

Back