What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. longifolia with Sarracenia

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Here is the only Utricularia I have, that I know of. U. longifolia. I threw it into a Sarracenia pot since it was going downhill indoors for me and really likes the sun and fresh air of the outdoors! I bet it has lots of prey to catch in that nasty mucky Sarracenia media.

DSC02537.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

It adds a nice touch. Ironic too that the grassy substance people are ignoring in the bottom of that pot when they look at the Sarracenia is carnivorous too!

Was that intentional or did it hitchhike somehow?

xvart.

I threw it into a Sarracenia pot since it was going downhill indoors for me and really likes the sun and fresh air of the outdoors!

xvart,
I think that says it all.

Haha! You beat me to it el gecko :cuss:

-J.P. :-))

xvart,
I think that says it all.

lol. I guess that's what happens when you don't respond immediately and then don't reread the post later on! Pay attention kids!

xvart.

I put my U.. longifolia, that had been doing pretty well under artificial lighting, outside, on the patio - and the leaves fried. And I hope it was just the foliage that was above ground! :-(

I put my U. longifolia, that had been doing pretty well..., outside, on the patio - and the leaves fried.
Jim, I did the same thing on purpose a couple months ago. My U. longifolia had an on going fungal infection of the leaves that had been going on all winter. Fungicides nocked the problem down for a week or so, then new leaves would get infected. I stuck it out in direct sun for a couple weeks figuring that the sun would kill the fungus and infected leaves and the fresh air would do it good. Fried every lolon off and killed the fungus to boot. I have it inside now and so far the fungus has not re-occured on the leaves. :boogie:

Give yours some time and it will come back from the rolons in the next week or so.

If it matters, I actually covered it with peat and let it regrow up through the media. It wasn't exposed to any light.

JLAP, if the plant's growing happy and healthy, then it don't matter. And judging by the looks of your U. longifolia, it don't matter! LOL! I may try the same thing with a couple of my Sarracenia. It might look cool having a bunch of U. sandersonii blooming around the base of a Sarracenia.

Give yours some time and it will come back from the rolons in the next week or so.

Thamks for the feedback. The trouble with bladderworts is that what is noticeable is above the surface. It's much harder to ascertain what is happening below, and thus whether they are dead of just suffering.

Funny how differently the sundews have fared. Plants like capensis, spatulata, brevifolia, cuneifolia, and all of the pigmy sundews have relished the conditions. In contrast, adelae, prolifera, and aliciae have either just suffered a great deal or are in fact dead. Only time will tell. Maybe I'll be lucky and nothing or very few plants have died and hopefully there will be enough growing season left for a decent recovery.

Back