What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda and Azolla caroliniana

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
I just found some Azolla caroliniana (Fairy Moss) growing in my newly made Aldrovanda tank. I have heard that they have a symbiotic relationship with a type of cynobacteria which helps them fix nitrogen. Does this mean a big increase in nitrogen (which I know is bad for Aldrovanda) or will these help draw out any nutrients that could be in the water and stop algae problems? I don't want these to spread too much if they are bad so I figured I'd ask y'alls opinion.

Also if anyone has any water hiacynth they are willing to part with give me a PM haha.

Thanks a bunch,
-J.P.

They might help reduce algae, or the possibility of algae if you don't have any already, by using up ammonia. They shouldn't cause an increase in overall nitrogen, and should in fact reduce it.

Personally, I hate those things. They grow fast and cover the entire top of the tank in no time. You would be better off with some water hyacinth, or other water plants. But for now, I would keep them until you get some water plants. Just make sure they don't overwhelm your aldrovanda.

Ah thank you very much! I cleared them out but saved them in a little jar. I have no idea how they all just popped up...

So now I guess I need to change this into a : Looking for Water Hyacinth Thread and put it in the Trades section of the forum :D

Thanks a bunch,
-J.P.

p.s. My aldrovanda are catching mosquito larvae but they are too big for the current traps and are getting a fuzzy mold on them. I have pulled out the molding ones (very gently) but I am unsure if this is just normal or not. Any hints?

If you can't find any water hyacinth, you might try putting in another aquatic plant. Basically, you want some thing that's easy to grow and doesn't need to root in the soil. Check your local pet store, they might carry something. I can't think of any plants right now, if I think of some I'll post later.

I would remove the mosquito larvae. You put some soil and sand in the bottom of your tank, right? There should be plenty of tiny aquatic organisms for the Aldrovanda to feed upon.

Yep soil and sand are in and everything is removed. I saw some water lettuce in a gardencenter up north of where I live that might be useful but I'm going to get a hyacinth from one of my neighbors.

Thanks,
-J.P.

Back