What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia site

Today I went to a local pond to collect a single Utricularia plant, although I'm not sure of the species. Here are some pics.

I'm gonna try to grow this guy in my outdoor plants' water tray.
DSCN4664.jpg

Their habitat
DSCN4665.jpg

The plants (along with some duckweed)
DSCN4666.jpg

DSCN4668.jpg

What they seem to grow in
DSCN4667.jpg

Anyone know what these are?
DSCN4669.jpg

DSCN4670.jpg

And some ducks
DSCN4671.jpg

Does anyone know what species this is? I know it's not U. gibba, and it's probably not U. minor, but I'm not sure. I live in NY up near Lake Ontario. If you need a close-up crop of the first pic, just ask.

-Ben

Looks like some species of Riccia. I'm only familiar with R. fluitans.

Looks very dry there. I hope everythings not dead by tomorrow.

Oh cool thanks. It does look like the Riccia on google.

Lol, yeah there is a pretty low water level amongst the cattails, but just beyond that it gets a bunch deeper. I think it's almost always like that at that area. But those Utrics have been there for some years so I guess it doesn't bother them.

Oh also for identification, these Utrics make turions in winter.

-Ben

I may be utterly wrong as I'm no expert on Utrics, but is it possibly intermedia?

No, I don't think it is, because U. intermedia has those leafy stiff stolon thingies for whirls, while this plant has leaf stolon things that branch a lot more. And also from pictures, it looks like U. vulgaris only had bladders on non-leafy parts, but this plant has bladders mixed in with the leafish things. Although I just did a quick search on google, so I could be wrong.

I thought that it might be U. vulgaris, and on CPUK someone thinks it might be U. macrorhiza, which apparently used to be called U. vulgaris because they are so similiar in appearance.

-Ben

Where was that? Maybe I can find similar in Buffalo's southtowns?

It's called Cobb's Hill Park, just in Rochester. This lake is most likely artificial because the Erie Canal used to run through it, so there's no guarantee that this population is at all native.

-Ben

Back