What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda tank-full of surprises!

glider14

Always a newbie
a while ago i got several strands of aldrovanda(thanks Mike!!!) all are doing great and some have a red inside like their VFT cousins!. a few surprises have come up since i got them: a flower bud!- i was really surprised by this. currently its just sitting at the top a little growth. hopefully itll grow again and bloom. next was the fact of how fast they grew and split up! i may have well doubled the amount of aldrovanda material i had in the first place. in the tank i added some lilly tubers. i bought them from walmart in the pet aisle and were dried bulbs. i saw sprouting in less than 24 hours. i have a few lilly pads on the surface(but they arent circles...more like long ovals) and a few flower stalks! the ramshorn snails i got with the Aldro's are multiplying fast! i dont know where they are coming from! they are doing a pretty good job of keeping the algea at bay. and i also got a horn wort plant....for decoration. are they beneficial? the last surprise i got today....i just looked in my tank and i saw a dragon fly nymph!! no idea where it came from...the only thing i could think of is the hornwort from the pet store.
ill get pics when i get my camera going... just wanted to share my "successes" :)

Alex

awsome!

hope everything stays good for you!

You got them from Walmart?!?!?! *must check this out*

Cool Alex! Wait until the flower bud sinks back under the water, it will produce some seed...maybe. It will get quite large then, and when the seeds are ready, the pod will appear darker. If you get fresh black seeds, they have a good chance of sprouting.

I'm glad to hear you are having success!

You got them from Walmart?!?!?! *must check this out*

yup. i got them in the aquarium supplies aisle. i no longer have the package but next time i go there ill write down the name.

Alex

Sounds like a fun tank. The hornwort will be great for keeping free nitrogen levels down inside the tank. The dried bulbs you're referring to are Tiger Lotus. There are probably both red and green. They're awesome plants, and pretty hardy once established. And they love bright light. haha And the packages are only like $3 at Wal Mart, and usually come with 2-4 bulbs. Get us some pix!!!

I checked out our Walmart and didn't see any. Does yours have anymore?

no its not a tiger lotus.
heres the leaves underwater(sorry for the crappy quality of all the pics! my (good) camera charger is at my cousins house)
DSC00256.jpg

above water(with some flowers)
DSC00257.jpg

flowers
DSC00258.jpg

and as a little extra, a buddy for the plants in the back. he eats the extra snails(i have hundreds of them!!)
DSC00259.jpg

Alex

That's some Aponogeton.

so...are they of any use as an aquarium plant?
Alex

If you have a big aquarium :)

psh....i just removed a big clump. so now there is only one in there. i only have a 5 gallon tank.
Alex

Yeah, def Aponogeton. They'll grow really quickly and strongly for a while, then go dormant for a while. Keep an eye on them, cause when they go dormant they'll drop all their leaves, and you'll get a rotting mess. Just remove the dead soupy leaves, and the bulbs should resprout when the time is right. Looks like a healthy tank, super clear water. Cool flowers on the Apons, too, huh?

very cool, yes! odd....very! haha

Back