What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii plug

im about 99% positive the seeds being sent out are one of the other clones and not the one pictured here

im about 99% positive the seeds being sent out are one of the other clones and not the one pictured here

I was getting ready to ask that, so thank you for saving me the trouble. Was Barry the one who set the seed?

xvart.

yeah its from Barry but am unsure of where he got it.......

:)

So by that being the other clone then they like it dryer?

Way to go Andrew!! Get that bad boy growing! I want to get a plug of that guy one day. LOL

with so few leaves up top and no way to see in the dirt, how do you know its thriving? also, is that pure peat?

~b

cause its putting up new leaves.....if its putting up healthy leaves its happy......do believe he is using mostly peat as a soil.....as am I for this clone

So does this meant he clone from Barry rice needs to be planted dryer?

IIRC Barry uses 1/1 LFS/perlite. That is what he has always quoted on the FAQ at any rate.

The seed from Barry is not from the clone the known "dry" clone (i.e. Phicula clone) but that does not mean it will not grow that way. Seeds are a way of mixing up the genetics so you might get something out of it that likes drier over wetter. I advocate sowing on damp media and keeping on the wetter side till true leaves are produced. After that let levels flux (moderately) until you find what the seedlings like best then stick with that.

It seems like I saw where Barry suggested keeping it as free floating for a while until it matures a little more. After it puts on more growth then switch to the wet LFS/perlite mix? I guess that's my question. At what point should we transfer the seedlings passed out by Barry/Travis to the media if we are currently just keeping it in DI water free floating?

I second this question. Currently Ih ave them in a small plastic container free floating in water about 3 cm or so above a layer of LFS peat perlite

DroseraBug;874251At what point should we transfer the seedlings passed out by Barry/Travis to the media if we are currently just keeping it in DI water free floating?[/QUOTE said:
I can not answer that. I sowed on well wetted LFS in a 16oz deli cup. About a week after they had all germinated I transfered half of them to pots of media and set them in with the other Utrics. The other half I left in the deli cups as fall backs/because I was lazy. Was bumbling in the crawlspace last night and saw that all the ones I had sown out on the media were doing well so...

P5080004.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Pyro, I thought I would chip in some pics of mine as well.

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0003-3.jpg

Woooo max When did you plant those out. They are looking so good and growing pretty fast. How much light are you giving them?

Hey Josh,

I planted them in the middle of march after receiving them from Barry Rice, and they are growing about 3 inches away from 2 40 watt florescent bulbs.

I vote for an updated series of photo's I'm curious to see how everyones different conditions are doing....

what do ya think?

I vote for an updated series of photo's I'm curious to see how everyones different conditions are doing....

what do ya think?

I'll post pictures/updates of both my seed germination and the plug that originally started this thread when I get home tomorrow night. But, to wet your whistle, the main plug won't really look impressive. I divided it for a trade and put a lot more peat in the mix. It has sprung one small stolon since that division, but I'm sure the undergrowth is growing big and well.

Before I left on vacation I had a couple visible sprouts from the seeds. I hope I flooded them enough so they don't dry out while I'm gone.

cmm889 - Rock Chalk! I've never seen that avatar around here. I grew up in Lawrence and got my MS there. Awesome!

xvart.

Here are a couple pictures of mine. I had a total of seven germinate. I have three in a pure peat mix and the other four are in LFS. They seem to be doing a bit better in the LFS. I keep both the pot and the undrained container rather wet and they are both covered with bags.

P1010430.jpg

P1010436.jpg

P1010437.jpg

The seedlings aren't really yellow, my camera just doesn't like me nor macro shots.

Crystal

xvart! you grew up in lawrence! thats awesome. I'm from Overland Park but I'm going to be a junior here at KU. How about this year right? orange bowl for football and national title for basketball its been awesome out here!

glad to hear theres someone from KU here!

Alright here are some photo's of my Utric. Humboldtii that was recieved from a very generous donor here on TF.

UtricHumboldtii.jpg

UtricHumboldtii2.jpg

I've got it potted in 50-50 Peat/LFS keeping it fairly wet with about 80% constant humidity in my terrarium

how's everyone elses doing?

Back