What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii plug

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Since the Utricularia forum hasn't had any action since the beginning of December I decided I would share this with you. I received this plug of U. humboldtii a month or so ago and it is now sending up two stolons. Looking forward to seeing this one grow more as I was quite surprised at the stolon size on the plug I got.

uhum3.jpg

uhum1.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
sweet man! looking forward to pics of leaves, flowers, and seeds you can watch germinate! :)

Forgot to mention that you might see some Nepenthes seed in there. I had some extra left over and thought "what the heck?"

sweet man! looking forward to pics of leaves, flowers, and seeds you can watch germinate! :)

Yeah, let's hope my future holds that to be true. I just read your signature. I love Yogi Berra. "You can observe a lot just by watching."

xvart.

They grow very slow only producing a few leaves per year, at least for me.

I'm hoping mine will flower this spring.

elgecko..............this clone is anything but slow....atleast if yah start with a good sized division.....xvart will prolly have to be divided before next fall so that it doesnt crash :grin: this clone produces about a dozen leaves a month for me.....would prolly do more if i put it in a bigger pot......damnedest thing is i cant get any other humboldtii clone to even live past 3 or 4 months.....torquing me off to no end..........this clone produces about a dozen leaves a month for me.....would prolly do more if i put it in a bigger pot

6x9x5 inches deep or so......been thinking about just giving it a 10 gal tank half filled with soil to take over

Well I just counted again and I have 4 more stolon's growing for a total of six. I'm now afraid that with all these leaves it's going to block out all the light for the other plants! :nono:

xvart.

Update: Nineteen days later and seven stolons growing strong. I'm continuously impressed. What am I supposed to do about my lights? Judging by the size of the stolon that came in the initial plug these will clearly hit the lights soon enough!

IMAGE_00105.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
xvart, do you know if your plant is male or female? I was reading up on them and learned they are gender specific, like Neps. Here is were I discovered that. Nice hybred cross flower pictures.
Tom

xvart, do you know if your plant is male or female? I was reading up on them and learned they are gender specific, like Neps. Here is were I discovered that. Nice hybred cross flower pictures.
Tom

Interesting. I did not know that. Good reading, though. However, I wish they provided more detail since there is little detail about the dioecious nature of utricularia. I doubt the ICPS would be so casual but could it be just a reference to the pollen distributor and the pollen receptor?

I wouldn't even know where to begin identifying a male Utricularia from a female Utricularia!

xvart.

No, these plants are not dioecious.

All that article was saying is that the female plant was the plant that he collected the seed off of and the male plant was the one he used to gather the pollen from for making the hybrid.

Utrics flowers have both male and female parts :)

Thanks Pyro, I sure read that the other way.... didn't mean to dis-inform.

Nice plants. Looks like they are sprouting upward fast. Soon it'll explode in width. Keep us posted.

What am I supposed to do about my lights?

lol my lollons were never a problem.........they never grew high enough to hit the lights........however after loosing a dozen flower stalks to the lights i moved it to a different shelf :grin: the flower stalk can hit 3 foot im told :grin:

I've got to ask, why do your stolons have brown edges, Sheridan? I assumed they hit the lights.

low humidity...........was growing it as a house plant...........so they have been fairly short lived.....few months or so but are continually replaced with new ones.......now that its in the greenhouse in the basement they dont die off as quickly but i sent xvart the plug shortly after the greenhouse was built so it still had old, low humidity lollons on it. another problem is even when moved to better conditions it seems to want to drop all current lollons and send up new ones better suited to the new environment......when i sent Andrew a division, even though it was going from my low humidity shelf to his high humidity greenhouse it still lost all its lollons and sent up new ones. which is why when i use it in trades i pay much more attention to the underground growth in a division than the above ground.......always take a division in an area that has lots of underground growth

February 5, 2008 update

Another update: I had seven stolons until one aborted. Now another seventh is starting up. This picture was taken with a much better camera than the previous photos. These U. humboldtii pictures were taken on February 5, 2008:

DSCN2908.jpg

DSCN2909.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
Wow- yours are ahead of mine.... (got it same place, same time.) Good work! My g/h may be a little cool for them atm though. ???

Wow- yours are ahead of mine.... (got it same place, same time.) Good work! My g/h may be a little cool for them atm though. ???

Do you have any growth? The temps have not been so great here since my apartment is fairly hard to keep constant temps this time of year (or any time!).

xvart.

Back