What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii plug

Yeah, there is growth. But not as much as yours... Remember, my nights are getting down to approx 50-55f or so... with a 30k BTU propane heater and a 1500w electric heater. I'd hate to have to run this thing where it actually gets cold! lol

I'll try to get my camera over to the g/h to show you how much better than me you're doing :p My mix is almost pure peat though, as recomended by rattler... Looks like you went with a lighter mix.. and a drained container while i went undrained. I'm guessing mine is putting out crazy growth underground and will all the sudden fill the whole pot with above media growth :D lol

Or maybe yours just looks better cause its a smaller pot? what size is that?

Yeah, there is growth. But not as much as yours... Remember, my nights are getting down to approx 50-55f or so... with a 30k BTU propane heater and a 1500w electric heater. I'd hate to have to run this thing where it actually gets cold! lol

Yeah, I guess you're right, lol. It certainly doesn't get that cold in my apartment.

I'll try to get my camera over to the g/h to show you how much better than me you're doing :p My mix is almost pure peat though, as recomended by rattler... Looks like you went with a lighter mix.. and a drained container while i went undrained.

I didn't want it to get too soggy or stay too soggy so I made it much more airy and I don't even keep it in standing water. Just the amount that runs through toward the bottom during waterings. Even then I don't think it's standing in water because the bottom half inch or so is pure bark.

I'm guessing mine is putting out crazy growth underground and will all the sudden fill the whole pot with above media growth :D lol

Ooooohhhh! Can't wait to see that! lol.

Or maybe yours just looks better cause its a smaller pot? what size is that?

It's about six inches. It was the biggest pot I had at the time. I am a little worried that it will fill the pot too quickly, so I am looking to upgrade a little more but I figure I'll let it get some sizable growth first, then split it and share the wealth when I get a more suitable pot. What size pot is yours in?

xvart.

Rattler recommended a large undrained pot with heavy media. That's what I did. And my plant is better than your plant! :p I forget now, but I think mine is in an 18" pot lol

A post with pics of rattler's plant: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110306&highlight=humboldtii

Here was my first growth on Dec 1st...
1128071836.jpg

and the growth on Dec 22nd (the little one on the right :) )
P1010256.JPG

The hybrid I got from him at the same time did nothing at all for a while. then all the sudden it was throwing up growth all over the pot. But that pot is a tad smaller :D

Your U. humboldtii pot will be insane when it does finally explode in growth! Come March you'll put mine to shame!

xvart.

Ok, here is what's currently going on with the humboldti pot (tub :p ) (sorry- camera phone pics in the dark...) (4 growths, although the 4th is just now breaking the media so you can't see it...)

0206081858.jpg

and the hybrid in a 8" pot

0206081859.jpg

I'm still going to try and remember the camera.. but it takes me a month or so to remember.. so you get these for now. hahaha

Andrew

What is the hybrid?

xvart.

...read the label.

haha- thanks to the new PM seach feature I found the answer quickly :D (about 7 seconds!!) it is U. alpina x endressi. I actually really like it :)
Andrew

Okay, here are better pictures of the two taken today... The humboldtii seems happier now that I have it under a short shelf getting less light...

P1010409-2_14_08.JPG

P1010407-2_14_08.JPG

andrew

Update: 4/2/08

Another update. Not doing so well due to neglect the last couple of weeks. I wonder how Andy's is doing? Probably shooting up stolons like it's going out of style in that 18" pot of his... lol.

DSCN3466.jpg

DSCN3467.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
Nice your plant is coming along very nicely!

Nice your plant is coming along very nicely!

Thanks; but, I think it might be time to divide and put it in a bigger pot. Maybe in time for the NASC auction.

xvart.

I wonder how Andy's is doing?

It's goin :) Still not much up top.. but under... I can only imagine :) It's been happier since I've been keeping it much wetter...
Andrew

How are these plants doing now??

How are these plants doing now??

Josh - Here are some updated photos. I recently split mine up and lost most of the stolons in the process, but there is one that is coming along. Based on the recent discussions, observations, and stories I've kept mine much, much wetter with the pot sitting in six or so inches of water. I also added more peat to the mix to supplement the missing parts.

Uhumboldtii1-42808.jpg

Uhumboldtii2-42808.jpg

Uhumboldtii3-42808.jpg

xvart.

heck... Mine looks better than that :p :D I'll try to remember to get a pic....

Andrew

heck... Mine looks better than that :p :D I'll try to remember to get a pic....

Andrew

lol. I'm sure it does. Mine certainly doesn't warrant 3 pictures worth... I'm looking forward to it resettling in and reclaiming the crown of "better than Andrew's"!

xvart.

He he he I am hoping my seedds that are coming take off and I have a nice pot of them. I have to make sure I ask Travis if the ones he is sending like it wet or dry.

He he he I am hoping my seedds that are coming take off and I have a nice pot of them. I have to make sure I ask Travis if the ones he is sending like it wet or dry.

He said they were coming in vials and will be in great condition.

xvart.

Back