What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth of pots used for your Utricularias

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Hi:

I'm dreaming of summer but am thinking about the depth of the pots I use for my utricularias. Since they mostly creep across the moss and are in a terrarium, would azaelea pots be better (height is less than width)?

It looks like they only access the top of the pot.

Am I missing something?

I have 2 inch deep trays and some 1.5 inch trays they jsut crawl along the medium I think terrestrials that are easy are fine in short pots.

Utrics like to spread, horizontally and vertically... so "deep and wide"...

I'm using 4"x4"x5"deep square plastic pots. I've been starting clumps at the top of the pots, but eventually they all come out the bottom holes.

Hmmm. What are you feeding them? Mine are still in 3" pots but flowered their heads off this year. I have 5 or 6 of them and hope to get seeds for more from the ICPS seedbank.

Feeding them? Some people collect Daphnia, but I think there are adequate critters in stream water.

depends on species........mainly for small terrestrial species.....i use pots 4 inches wide by 2 tall.....for larger terrestrial species standard 4 inch pots......for the "macro utrics" the Orchidioides and Iperua sections i tend to use tall pots cause #1 the plants tend to be larger and #2 i like using trays for watering and with tall pots with orchid bark in the bottom its easier to keep the LFS damp but not soaked when i keep water in the tray most of the time........

I use 2" wide x 2" deep pots for subulata, 6" deep by 5"wide for my Longifolia (it's flowering), 3" deep for Asplundii, and 5" deep for Alpina.

I don't think it matters as much as light and temperatures do...

Yeah, mine need to be contained. I'm not about to waste soil/space on them. ;)

Back