What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Utric.

Finally, I made an order at a nursery and one of the plants is a U. dichotoma. I was wondering, do terrestrial utrics have dormancy? I don't think they do, but they still need seasonal weather, right? If so, is mid-Florida weather fine? Or should I keep it in a terrarium year-round?

There are some Utrics that have dormancy/reduced growth cycles but dichotoma (at least most forms) is not one of them.

The weather in mid-FL should be fine, I had some dichotoma rogue in one of my bog gardens here in Atl and it did fine for 3 years (till I tore the bog down.) However, I would suggest you start off growing it in a tank and then when it gets larger you can divide portions out to experiment with outside and still have your main plant if something should go wrong

There are some Utrics that have dormancy/reduced growth cycles but dichotoma (at least most forms) is not one of them.

The weather in mid-FL should be fine, I had some dichotoma rogue in one of my bog gardens here in Atl and it did fine for 3 years (till I tore the bog down.) However, I would suggest you start off growing it in a tank and then when it gets larger you can divide portions out to experiment with outside and still have your main plant if something should go wrong

Thanks, I was actually thinking of putting it in a tank if it didn't need dormancy. But do they still require a cold period of growth? Or can they be grown like Nepenthes?

If they don't require dormancy then they don't need a cold growth period. You can probally grow it in your house near a bright window but not in direct light, and it will do fine. Make sure the ground never goes dry though.I believe they like humidity though. SO you may need to keep a dome on it....also I believe they like it cool....bright light and cool area...lol...oxymoron...

I never gave mine a cold period but did allow to cycle the photoperiod. And in spite of my relative newness it did this:

IMG_0010-1.jpg

Back