What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

floating utricularia

Anna

carnivorus plant collector
Hi All:

Im thinking of buying one of those floating island plant holders from the local water garden shop for my pond. I was going to put some bladderworts in them. Has anyone tried this with bladderworts or anyother CP's????

I have suspended utrics ofer water and had the roots grow down into the water. It gave a great looking mass of roots that grew down and was pretty cool looking. I am not sure about the floating island your talking about though.

I'm attempting to re-create the Jeff Wong thing with a Genlisea. So far no corkscrews emerging. In a different setup I am in the process of setting up a fishtank as a terrarium to accommodate B. liniflora, lowland Neps, and my lone Petiolaris plant. What I am trying to do, among other things, is find and carve out a block of styrofoam and cut out pot sized holes and have the pots float at the water surface, similat to what you describe. I believe that styrofoam with cutouts would be a good way to allow roots to be permanently moist.

Hi All:

Im thinking of buying one of those floating island plant holders from the local water garden shop for my pond. I was going to put some bladderworts in them. Has anyone tried this with bladderworts or anyother CP's????

Are you going to fill the middle of the plant holder with water?

And put an aquatic utricularia in the middle? If that's the case, you should start with U. gibba. Such a small container wouldn't fit some of the other aquatics.

Hi All:
This is what Im referring to:

http://www.thewatergardenshop.com/floatplanis.html

I have a shallow pond in my backyard that I grow my tropical water lily in and I was going to use one of these planters for my u longifolia. Im not sure if it would work out.

That's the commercial version of the concept. I think that it would work well.

Back