What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Utrics?

In the public lake near my house, I think there might be some kind of Utrics in the swampy area. It looks like a picture I saw. So does a bunch of these plants that I keep finding on my hook when I go fishing. What I was wondering is, would it be ok to pick a peice of it and grow it? I read that they're invasive or something, and this one thread said it would probably be ok to pick some, but I don't want to pick anything that's endangered. It's a public lake so I don't know who to ask permission from, if there is anyone. Plus I don't know what kind of Utric it is, if it is one.

If they're in a public lake that does'nt have a sign prohibiting collection of the plants, and are in a general abundance, I'd say that collection of the plants is not illegal, Utrics or not. Just don't take truckloads and you should be fine!:-))

Ok, but I'd like a few more opinions to confirm, I don't want to get in trouble or anything.

Description? Pic, maybe? How do flowers look like?

Since its a public lake and no sign saying you can't its seems fine. I have done this before and even showed the park ranger when he asked me and he said it was fine as long I don't take anything that is posted up on walls or signs that say I can't take a certain thing

whos to say you didnt just leave your fishing trip with some stuck to your hook? :jester:

get us a picture!

~billy

Alright, I'll try (try) to get a picture. It's night right now, and I am absolutely NOT going on that lake alone at night. It's scary as crap. So for now, I'll describe it. I saw a green strand of something with a bunch of needle like... things growing outward all over it. There's no flower. It grows in the swampy area near the lily pads at the shore. It looks like a picture I saw of some kind of Utric. Oh also, I'm not sure if this was a Utric or not, but back in Washington there was this lake with a sign that said something like, "Help us get rid of this plant. It is invasive and tangles boats and fishers and stuff"... Something like that. There's no sign about it here, nothing about taking it or not taking it.

My little brother has a fast-frowing plant like that in his aquarium. It's called Ceratophyllum. But there are a lot of other aquatic plants that look very similar to it and would match your description, including Cabomba, Myriophyllum, Parrot Feather, and even Elodea.

Snap a pic for us to be sure!

Ok, I went out on the boat today and found some of it, but there was a few different looking kinds, so I took a few pics.

One has little round green leaves on it.
P6120006.jpg

Another was a bit similar to a pine tree, in the way that it had little pointy green leaf things on it.
P6120005.jpg

And another was similar to the second one but kindof different.
P6120003.jpg

They were all growing out of the ground under the water and came up/broke easily. I didn't see any traps on it, but I didn't know how small they were or where to look.

I don't think those are Utrics.

I think it could be Aldrovanda... but I'm no expert.

Oh, today, when I went looking for those plants to get pics, I found a whole bunch of little roundish leaves floating on the top of the water. There was a ton of the stuff, and when I lifted up some of it, there was a bunch of greenish-white stringy things under the water. I looked really closely and there was a few little clear round things on the strings. I think those might have been Utric bladders. They were about 1mm in size. What could those be?

Oh, today, when I went looking for those plants to get pics, I found a whole bunch of little roundish leaves floating on the top of the water. There was a ton of the stuff, and when I lifted up some of it, there was a bunch of greenish-white stringy things under the water. I looked really closely and there was a few little clear round things on the strings. I think those might have been Utric bladders. They were about 1mm in size. What could those be?

It could be. Were there any flowers?

No, no flowers out of the water. Except for the lily pads. But there were some other flowers that were all purple and others that were yellow, but I don't think those were coming out of the water, and they were almost 2ft tall.

Were they small and orchid like? Are pics possible?

No, they were pretty big and tall. I could get a pic, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a utric flower, it was growing out of the soil and was on a tall thick stem.

Oh. How about a pic of the roots of that one plant you found.

Those plants look like:

(pic 1) Elodea

(pic 2) Myriophyllum

(pic 3) Ceratophyllum

Unfortunately, they're common, non-carnivorous plants. But Utrics are floaters, and some common species have bladders about 1mm in size. So snap us a pic of that other stuff, too! :)

Elodea is Anacharis and that strongly resembles Aldrovanda.

Back