What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowed some U. Alpina seed

Well, just sowed some fresh U. Alpina seed from Pyro, thanks a bunch mate. ill post pics if i get some germination going :3. god...ive got alot of seeds now...and more on the way ._.;;;;

Hey!

If you don't mind me asking, what media did you sow them on?

BTW, I got your D. tokaiensis seeds, they're all sowed and ready to go, and I'm just waiting for them to sprout! Thanks again Kris!

Sincerely,

Jimmy

2:1 peat/perlite i dont have any sand currently.

I used equal parts peat and sand (sealed in a bag), along with an experiment. If the second works out I'll let you guys know. :)

I sowed my U. Alpina seeds that I got from Pyro yesterday also.

Ive got mine too. Thanks Pyro!

But i have a question....

Ive got the cup like Pyro said, that has the drainage (well I made one out of a nice clean starbucks cup) and then Ive got the sphagnum moss making the wick out of the bottom.

Now do I fill the container the rest of the way with the peat/perlite and then sow the seeds and then place a layer of sphag on top or can I sow the seeds into the moss itself. I couldnt really tell from the post where Pyro talks about how to sow them (It could have been a day I had a short attention span...Im going to go back and read it again just to make sure I dont understand)

Thanks for your help!

Just sow on the surface of the peat mix and you should be fine. After a year or so you may need to transfer them. Or not, they can be spastic...

ok :)

I ended up sowing them in a peat/perlite/chopped up sphagnum substrate. They are in the starbucks cup and in a plastic zip bag now and in a warm window. Hopefully that will do the trick!
*crosses fingers*

I still have about half of the seeds in the packet...if it doesnt work Ill give it another go. :)

May want to watch temps as inside a bag on a window could heat up if in direct sun. Otherwise you sound like you are on the right track :)

*yeay* Ive got it in an east window and its sitting partially behind my "Beware of Cats" sign, so its about half in indirect sun and then half in the shade, as its also in the outer corner of the window so that cats dont knock it out. :)

I checked it this morning, somehow i was hoping something to be there lol, but it was lightly condensed and not too overly warm/hot. I will keep an eye on it tho!

Me too! They sprouted a little over 2 weeks ago. Do they look kinda like grass?

yeah kinda like tiny grass right now xD

How many? I only have 4 so far :( .

Can someone post a pic? I cant tell if they are growing or if its the sphag moss I mixed in :( Thatll teach me to mix in green stuff with something that is sprouting green! *doh!

So I will be hitting you up for one or so when they get big enough Kris! Congrats!

Um or those could be just grass growing :p

I checked, and I have only 7 still. None sprouted on my 1:1 peat-sand in a pot in a plastic bag.

Only the seeds sowed on the oreo cookie method worked! I didn't even use a bag over the top, it was just in a 50 gal tank.

the oreo cookie method? what is that?

1 strand layer Sphag, lotsa perlite, and 1 strand layer Sphag - in a tall pot. I put that in a tray and didn't cover it with any bag.

Back