What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii

i got a plug of u humboldtii. right now it has the long grass like leaves - not the oar shape.
Has anyone gone through this before and knows how long it takes before it makes the oar shaped leaves?

um pictures might be the best thing you can do to help us help you at this point...

and when you say " oar " shaped I'll assume you mean the stolons... just fyi :)

i've got a small plug of U. Humboldtii also, but not enough experience yet to really answer your question I feel...

That could be a sign of etiolation, which means that your plant needs more light (if it is indeed U. humboldtii). Or does this species make two types of leaves? I don't know.

-Ben

In terms of growth, from experience I can say that it really varies. If your plug isn't growing any stolons it hopefully is growing subterranean, which is probably more important for the establishment of the plant. When I first got my plug a while back, it put up several stolons, and then I divided it, and since it has only put up one stolon and kept it for a long time. I haven't dug around too much to see how the growth is doing under the soil.

You might find this thread of interest. I posted it a long time ago and shows some development. Mine still looks like my last picture. All I can say is I'll never dig it up again until it is about to explode from the pot, as suggested by philcula in this post.

Good luck,

xvart.

Just a general comment to all, calling the leaves "stolons" is not wholly accurate (Taylor makes this point) so lets go easy on the newbie :)

could be a sign of etiolation, which means that your plant needs more light

Doubt it is etiolation, humbos can grow well even under low light and they retain their paddle shape. In fact I tend to find that the size of the paddle increases to provide more surface area to grab more light ;)

Or does this species make two types of leaves

More actually :)

@ Alec

As cmm said, a pic would help in this case for sure. There are a number of clones of humbo floating around and one of them seems to put out these grass-like leaves fairly often while the majority of clones do not. Once upon a time I had this clone and I was convinced it was "contaminated" with U. praelonga. A few other growers I knew also had witnessed the same phenomenon and none of them had praelonga. One of them finally took a division consisting of only these grass-like leaves and grew it out till it produced the paddle-shape leaves.

So, from the sound of it you may have this clone. There is no strict time frame as to "when" it will begin putting up "normal" leaves though, could be tomorrow could be next year... Best thing to do is to just leave it be and let it establish like Xvart said.

A wise hobbyist once told me that one may not see anything noteworthy the first year but the next year could bring flowers.

thanks everyone, Ill post a pic so you can see it.

Back