What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revisiting an old thread, Utric plant parts

I am putting together a plant display for our local Aquarium, and am attempting to compile a bit of very "basic" educational info to accompany the plant material. While reviewing the threads in this section I came upon this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90482

Would anybody be willing to put into layman terms how the stolons are different from leaves (as they are both used for photosynthesis, aren't they?) and how or why the "roots" are not true roots as they absorb the nutrients the plant needs to survive, like other plants. Or...would it be better to leave it vague? I assume this info would also apply to Genlisea?

I am preparing a couple of the double containers so the traps will be viewable, one terrestrial bladderwort and one genlisea. Again, this is not for plant-philes, it is for a broad cross section of visitors who may be interested in a little info to accompany the pretty flowers an trapping mechanisms.

Thanks in advance.

if its for the general public i would worry bout technical terms and trying to explain them.....but Taylor's(got it here beside me, and as far as i know is the only large work on the genus as a whole) states to call the "photosynthetic stolons" leaves.......as far as the "roots" guess you could just call them stolons and compare them to the runners of strawberry and spider plants and say they have no true roots......

Rattler - Thank for the advice and info. I guess nobody else wants to play. I have read elsewhere that Genlisea traps are actually modified leaves under the soil. Don't know if this true, but I am taking your advice nonetheless. Sometimes too much information is just that. Thanks

Back