What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 new U. sandersonii (typical and blue)

Well here are my newest additions. I hope they will be ok because USPS was stupid and sent them all over the country before getting them to me. They were sent from Seattle, WA area to New Jersey on the frozen east coast before sending back to Palm Springs. Maybe USPS is trying to mismanage funds so they too can be bailed out by the government. ???

The blue form is in flower, but both have additional flower spikes. :banana2:

I have read that these are supposed to spread and multiply quickly. With any luck, next time this year I should have some that I could divide and share. :D

Ooh, neat flower. I hope it does well for you. :)

nice plants, and the person who shipped it for you must be one hecka stupid guy xP

It was not the shipper. It was the postal service. The address was right on the label, but the postal service thought it needed a tour of the US before getting to me. The shipper was very helpful during this process.

Nice looking flower. Here's the two, side by side, for comparison:

IMG_0030-1.jpg

is that the normal size of a plug of utric? i guess i got lucky when i bought my livida
beautiful flower! good luck :)

A little winter weather should not hurt it much, might make the plants go into a winter rest thou. So if they stop growing don't worry too much about it. I've only had my sandersonii's for a few months but the growth rate is pretty fast.

All my flowers promptly dropped when they arrived, but the typical is flowering again.

Everyone should have little bunny ears!!!

is that the normal size of a plug of utric? i guess i got lucky when i bought my livida
beautiful flower! good luck :)

I've received about 8 Utric's from nursury's/E-bay and such and the portion size is shameful.......I'd say 6 of 8 were under 1" X 1". Which makes no sense, there is not a huge market for these guys and everyone of the 8 has tripled in size in a few months.

Actually, I don't think I've ever gotten a plug of a common terrestrial that was over 1" x 1".

I guess everyone think that all you need to start with is a little tiny piece cause they grow like mad after a few weeks.

Nice flower, feedme!

Thanks everyone. I am really hoping it takes off. I new it was going to be small, but I was willing since everything I have read says they multiply quickly.

They seem to do best when in somewhat warm, well-lit, and very moist conditions.

Thanks Jim. I should be ok then. 70-80F, 70% humidity, 3 T5 bulbs, in an inch of water in a tray. :D

I don't have the blue form, but the white is a weed. Flowers non stop and prolifically, and yep it spreads quite rapidly. I love it - so showy!

It is taking off. It had one flower when I got it, and now it has about 7 flowers with more to come. The blue has quite a few buds but none in bloom yet.

That's a funny looking Sandersonii flower! Mine usually look like this.

Nice!

I have a U. sandersonii Typical coming this week sometime... Not quite sure what conditions to keep them in. Someone suggested putting them in a deep dish saucer and keeping the water level absurdly high 24x7 (like half an inch under the soil line) but I'm worried about root rot.

Do they really spread that fast? It'd be awesome if I had a nice cluster of them, I have always wanted the flowers. :)

They're not too picky but if you have the wherewithal to provide something that is deep and wide, with drainage holes, they'll do very well for you... once they settle in.

For me, Sandersonii will thrive in anything with wet peat in it, drainage holes or no. Like jimscott said, it takes a month or two for them to 'settle in' and spread across the surface, but once they do they'll never stop flowering, especially with lots of light and water.

Woah, those arrived quick.

U.Sandersonii.blue.jpg

U.Sandersonii.blue2.jpg

Oh, and apparently they're blues, not typicals. Oh well. :) Pot is about 3" square and is absolutely packed, wonder if I should just immediately consider splitting...

Man I just bought a Blue Sandersonii. It was a little three inch pot but it is PACKED. It had like six flowers already and has a few more coming on. I'm almost pretty concerned that it will get root bound. Is this a problem? It had a huge strand of bladders coming out the bottom even, and little vines with bladders falling off the sides.

The entire substrate and all comes out with ease. Plus, there are over ten seedling Drosera of some sort in the pot too...

Man what am/should I do?

Back