What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring is for FLOWERS

Well, my Utricularia collection is sadly gone and I am missing seeing the flowers that came every spring, so I thought I'd start this thread hoping to to see some win, esp. the smaller beauties :0o:

What happened?

-Clue

This is all that I have flowering:

Picture014-3.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

Pretties for sure, like fairies in skirts dancing for the new season! Thankee Brother Jim, I figured you'd come through. What, no one else has got flowering Utricularia, LOL???

As to what happened....I lost my collection when I fell sick in 2005 with a genetic ailment that had been absent for 2 decades and now back with a vengence every day since, thank you for asking. Most of the colection went pfffft that season when we had the worst drought I can ever remember and I could barely get out of bed that year. This is why we always need new growers, and to freely pass our plants to others while we have the opportunity so the ball keeps rolling. Currently I am unable to grow since my hands are mostly paralyzed although I hope this changes as the spring progresses.

Oh man, sorry to hear about your health. I wish you the best!

Here is my lowly contribution, an angry bunny. I need to get a good group shot.

2-9-09027.jpg

I think maybe a couple pics are in order tonight...

As promised a couple pics, not real good :(

HPIM0699.jpg

HPIM0700.jpg

How do you actually "plant" an utric?

I received mine as plugs. Simply dug a hole the size of the plug, and inserted the plug in. Good to go.

I'm on spring break, visiting the other side of the country, so I can't post any pics right now.

When I left I had U. paulineae, U. tridentata, and U. nelumbifolia, and 5 U. longifolia all throwing out stalks...

Oh yeah, I forgot to say - I saw some yellow flowered aquatic utrics here in the Florida everglades, even though there's surprisingly little water. I'll try to post pics sometime.

I'll post the pics of the others when I get back...

New picture of U. livida:

Picture154.jpg

Back