What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you grow U. campbelliana

Nope, sorry.

I have some germinating Utric seed pics somewhere, let me see if I can find them

Okay here we go. It is not ultra macro but it gives you an idea:

alpinaseedlings062206.jpg

thanks pyro.... and yeah I know, I looked around at pics last night and found no U. campbelliana sprouts with opposed leaves.

It became pretty obvious pretty quick... ugh, oh well
Still early
Av

I think I received more than I should have. I have extra if you want them :D.
The German guy offered some more recently. I got one pack (10 seeds)** and I was able to locate approximately 6 incredibly tiny medium-brown things that had a vague resemblance to Pyro & Crystal's pics - and 2 of those were on the outside of his packet.

I think I'm going to take Jeff's advice:
The seeds are real small, Av! Just don't get your hopes up like I did. :p

** - yes - I did all my legal permit stuff. However, I don't think the inspectors even opened the seed pack this time.....

I still believe my first pack was empty upon arrival... maybe I spilled them (but dont think so) or maybe customs spilled them... who knows, but I didnt see a thing

Crystal was kind enough to send me a few of hers (those I could see).... but sadly neither her nor I had any luck

I thought I followed the advice to the letter... so I dont know what to tell ya Ron,

please keep us posted....

and if you are successful.... well ummm ;)
Av

Two things:

1. FWIW, I'm growing U. quelchii in an undrained container in live Sphagnum. I fill it up to the top of the Sphagnum with distilled water, then let it get a little on the dry side before refilling. So far, no noticeable shock form shipping, with tons of new growth (the colony has probably sextupled in size over the past two months). As the water evaporates, it tends to suck the leaves down flat on the Sphagnum, but otherwise the plants seem happy, with good leaf form and color. Coincidentally, this is the same way I've started to grow all my terrestrial utrics, and they all seem to love it. I know it's not U. campbelliana, but the species are very similar, aren't they? Won't they hybridize?

2. For those of you on the ICPS forums:

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=utricularia&action=display&thread=3063

And for those of you on CPUK:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31472

In this photo series, U. campbelliana is growing in live Sphagnum on what appears to be a vertical face.

Last edited:
ohhhh i still want a campelliana or quelchii....
I'll try again when the chance comes back around

Av

I was beginning to wonder if anyone had gotten any of the seeds to germinate - guess so ...
ohhhh i still want a campelliana or quelchii....
I'll try again when the chance comes back around
...or just buy a plant for $150 euro ($202.80 USD) + phyto + shipping + others you'll also buy once you start = $$kaching$$. Cheapskate. :poke:

actually, i got a quelchii--and i can tell you for sure that i didnt pay that much for it! there are a few growers in the US. you just need to be aware of the venues they sell by--scour certain sites religiously and once in a blue moon, they pop up. conveniently for me, i got it though a "buy it now" option. campelliana for sure will be much more difficult to find.

... campelliana for sure will be much more difficult to find.
Yes - it's the campy that's 150 euro in a European CP shop.

I received a U. quelchii in the fall that had one large 6", very sturdy leaf and a nice root mass. Over the next few months, the leaf faded away. It 'appears' that the plant has died. There are a few small leafs (~1/16") that have appeared - but overall it doesn't look too good. :down:

After the original potting, I placed some root (rolon) fragments in tiny pots - just in case. Two of those have leaves ~1/8" so there is still some small amount of hope.

I'm guessing that the stress of shipment, potting, etc. disrupted the plant and sent it into a mini-dormancy/stupor period. Although I didn't have it sitting in water, I also didn't let it dry out very much. Apparently this was 'too' wet as the original rolon mass now appears to be rotting. :headwall:

that's quite a shame Ron. :( however i wouldnt give up on it just yet! what type of pot did you plant it in? i do think the clear pots are the way to go concerning most bladderworts. i received my quelchii as a 1x1 plug, with only 2 adult leaves sticking out and the rest were juvenile leaves (which made me freak because i thought they were nephrophylla). for the past month i didnt notice any change in the plug except for a few tiny leaves as well. it wasnt until this week that i actually noticed large leaves sticking out from other areas of the pot. furthermore, there were a large number of leaves growing under the moss and against the side of the pot (this is where clear pots pay off)! as for watering---i actually haven't watered it persay- i give the plant an intentional misting from time to time but never have topped watered or waterlogged the pot it lives in. i do hope for the best Ron! otherwise, once when my quelchii has taken over the pot, i'll let you know.

sorry to throw the thread off topic. campbelliana is a stunner---i wish the flowers were larger though, from what i understand they're smaller than quelchii's.

The German guy offered some more recently. I got one pack (10 seeds)** and I was able to locate approximately 6 incredibly tiny medium-brown things that had a vague resemblance to Pyro & Crystal's pics - and 2 of those were on the outside of his packet.
Did you get these to germinate?

Did you get these to germinate?
No - but the fault lies with me. I'd used up the media I'd been using for seeds & made up a new batch just before the seeds arrived. I sowed the seeds and lots of mosses popped up. There's a chance that there are tiny campy seedlings in that forest, but if they're in there - I haven't found them - based on pics of his seedlings - that's not a shock...

I'm taking a pass on this round but may try again with one of his future offerings.... In the meantime, I may sow some longifolia or nephrophylla on sterile cotton pads (as he does) to try out the process....

you think chances could fare better if they sent seeds in towelettes moistened with dH2O? might increase the chances of survival, since we dont now how long the shelf life of the seeds are, and they are probably really sensitive to dessication.

Back