What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you grow U. campbelliana

I've got some seed incoming from across the pond... what are the currently accepted cultivation and germination philosophies?

Pictures too please :)

TIA,
Av

No pics but I grow this like I grow U. jamesoniana. I know a couple of the German growers have been growing it on treefern fibre slats with great success so there is an idea too. Never grown it from seed but I would assume it is like the others in the group and the seed is short lived so get it sown pretty quick.

The seeds are real small, Av! Just don't get your hopes up like I did. :p

Jeff

real small my arse LOL

sheesh, what seed?.... I needed a loupe dude,
Ill be honest... I didnt see any seed, I turned the paper upside down and shook over the substrate.... there was one point when the light was just right... or maybe it was wishful thinking... I just dunno LOL

I think I sowed some seed, but i wouldnt bet money on it

anyways.... thank you Tobias :hail:
Av

Hahaha, lol. I'd say they don't look too viable, do they?

I just harvested some nelumbifolia x longifolia seed; it looks like what I would have expected from the campbelliana seed -- a greenish center with a clear seed coating, kinda like asian rice candy.

But they're still bigger than pygmy drosera seed! Ever ordered that stuff? Can't hardly see them at all.

Good luck. I hope someone in the U.S. gets these to sprout.

rice candy, sheesh Jeff... maybe i didnt make it clear, I didnt see anything LOLOLOLOL

but in all honesty, im getting where i struggle with fine print now... :eek:

Crystal is getting some I think, so maybe she can give me a little confidence that I actually planted something

Av

You can not compare campbelliana to nelumbifoli as the seed for these are radically different. The seed of campbelliana ought to be very fine but similar to this in appearance:

alpinaHenryPittierclone1seed0904061.jpg

I'll let you guys know how mine look when they come in. From Pyro's picture they don't look all THAT tiny though I'm sure that's a macro shot (and a slightly different species). I have a couple different loupes I can use. I certainly hope we aren't getting 'invisible' seed ;).

Crystal

Yeah those are seed from U. alpina so they are larger than campbelliana will be.

Ok, I didn't know that.

No, the seed that I got looked like Pyro's alpina stuff. I thought it was just not pollenated correctly or something.

The seed of nelumbifolia and humboldtii are very specialized and look totally different from the seed of the Orchidioides section Utrics. Hybrids where nelumbi and humbo are the seed parent have seed that look just like nelumbi or humbo.

And Jeff, just as an FYI, nelumbi can self pollinate so I would hold off for either a definitive morphological phenotype or a distinct bloom before you absolutely label the offspring from your cross as the hybrid.

Hmmmm even if they are close, I should have seen those LOL.... hope i didnt spill them without realizing it

ugh.... (waiting patiently on Crissy's to arrive)

Dang, not feeling real confident at the moment LOLOLOL
Av

And Jeff, just as an FYI, nelumbi can self pollinate so I would hold off for either a definitive morphological phenotype or a distinct bloom before you absolutely label the offspring from your cross as the hybrid.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna label it for sure yet. I just wanna see the leaves first -- they should look different.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna label it for sure yet. I just wanna see the leaves first -- they should look different.

One would think but I have a suspicion that one or the other parent will be more dominant than the other in this case. If longi is the dominant one then it ought to be obvious that it is a hybrid but if nelumbi is the dominant one then you will likely have to waif for the bloom.

It is a real pain, I have 3 crosses, one of which is nearing 4 years old, and I am still waiting for confirmation by bloom... Enough to drive you nuts I tell you.

My U. campbelliana seed arrived today. While they are small, they aren't all THAT tiny. I've worked with much smaller Drosera seed.

The picture isn't the best, but it gives an idea about their size.

ucampbelliana.jpg

ugh.... ive lost mine then, crap

wahhhhh

I think I received more than I should have. I have extra if you want them :D.

Crissy,

I saw these, but I had to look for em LOL...

good luck to us both ey :)

Av

I know it's most likely too early to tell
but... is it?

u_campbelliana.jpg

???

Back