What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia jamesoniana

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Is anybody on here growing this species? It has recently caught my eye and there doesn't seem to be too much information on it.

Any info about this plant is appreciated! (Pictures are always nice too.)

Thanks,

-Matt

"Utricularia jamesoniana--This is fairly tricky to grow. Part of the problem is that it is exceedingly tiny, so make sure you do not grow this in live Sphagnum, as moss will overtake it. The spur of this flower is relatively huge. A true epiphyte, it grows on the trunks of mossy trees.

ujame03.jpg

ujame01.jpg

"

Quote from Barry Rice's exhausting FAQ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"U. jamesoniana
Only recently introduced to cultivation, this diminutive species is found under a wide range of elevation in nature (sea level to 3000m.) To the best of my knowledge the only clone in common cultivation is from Represa el Penol, Antioquia, Colombia, 1900m and as such it is best treated as an intermediate or highland plant. Cultivation is similar to that of U. asplundii. Somewhat tolerant of prolonged wet periods."

Quote from Pyro's growing guide on Utricularia.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Utricularia jamesoniana is a small perennial epiphyte carnivorous plant that belongs to the genus Utricularia. U. jamesoniana is native to Central America, the Antilles, and northern and western South America. It can be found in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Guyana, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela and on the islands of Guadeloupe, Hispanola, Dominica, and Martinique. It was originally published and described by Daniel Oliver in 1860. Its habitat is reported as being mossy tree trunks in montane cloud forests or lowland rain forests at altitudes from sea level to 2,500 m (8,202 ft). It flowers year-round.
180px-Utricularia_jamesoniana_8.jpg

"
Quote from Wikipedia.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TN_U_jamesoniana_JF_05.jpg
TN_U_jamesoniana_JF_03.jpg

-Photos from BestCarnivorousPlants.
u_jamesoniana1.jpg

U_asplundii_Duida.jpg

U_asplundii_Duida1.jpg

U_asplundii_Duida2.jpg

-Unknown Images.

Wow, thanks a lot Clue. You really went out of your way!

I guess I didn't search hard enough. lol.

If you are a member of ICPS then check the archives for the article I wrote on this plant :)

Long and short is that it is not terribly difficult plant to grow if you are able to grow others in the Orchidioides section. As was quoted above, avoid live sphag or you will hardly ever see the plant. Loose, open medias are best for this plant and you can also grow it mounted on treefern flats if you are ingenious enough.

Oh, and those last 4 pics that Clue posted are not jamesoniana. Those are pics of the clone of asplundii from Duida.

Thanks Pyro, I appreciate the info.

This plant looks more like it should be a carnivorous Lepanthes. I love it!

No worries. Feel free to shoot me any questions if you have them

Nice to see a CP native to Colombia!

Back