What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant Utricularia australis

This is what I have from 1 stalk in just some days its growing like crazy :) enjoy.. btw I have no previous experince with these water carnivoure ones it is: Utricularia australis.

2zyimo2.jpg

I would grow it with some companion plants, e.g. other plants it would live with in its natural environment. Try adding a layer of peat or something on the bottom of the tank, perhaps try some easy water plants like water hyacinth. If you have a water garden, you'll have no prob growing it most likely

yeah thats true but atm I have it in a aquarium and cant add peat there atm with my current fishs :p

Uh, fish will likely eat it. You should probably find a different container, or at least use one of those little isolation nets for rearing fry to keep the fish away from it. Otherwise, an aquarium probably isn't a bad place to try. If you have problems with algae growing on the strands, try moving them to a container that's opaque and dark colored.
~Joe

Hi nice tips but atm I got them in a fish spawn container or what u call it. and they seem to be growing very happy there :) When they have outgrown that il place it in the tank without the container since then it will be to many to lose them all to my fishs.. I guess hehe

Sounds like you've got it under control. Have you considered getting some Daphnia or other critters to feed both the fish and the plants?
Good luck,
~Joe

I wonder if they would do well inside an outside filter. I think elgecko was doing that with Aldrovanda.

hm intressting thought jimscott. but what is Daphnia ? I have been thinking that iff i had many Guppy fishs maby their spawns could feed the plants or they are to bigg for the plants traps ?

Daphnia are bugs that are also called water fleas. They're used to feed small fish, and also make handy food for Utrics and Genlisea.
~Joe

ok about my question about the guppy spawns what u think would work or not ?

I'm not sure - I've never seen guppy fry nor U. australis up close. I suppose it's possible.
~Joe

Back