What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

utric jars

utric bowls

Couple bowls full of utrics

U. longifolia
U_longifolia1.jpg

U. alpina
U_alpina1.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
Av

Neat-o. :D The longifolia seems massive. But. What the heck is that in the bottom left corner in both pictures? Is that really a ping? o.o Seems gigantic.

That's a nice way of growing utrics. :)

Wowza. That's some nice moss and some hard to miss Utrics. ;)

Very impressive!

very nice plants, and very jealous of how nice the moss looks, I just got some live and cant keep it alive for the life of me :-(

Cape... yes its a ping, and yes its massive LOLOLOL

Greg, ummmmm that should be easy... dunno mate, I have moss growing eveywhere
Here is an old DIY webpage of mine on growing sphag http://geocities.com/butchtincher/

thanks for the kind words everyone, the clear bowls give them a nice look IMHO
Av

what kind of moss is that ???

Av,
Nice healthy-looking plants! While longifolia often likes wet feet, I didn't think alpina & it's other Orchidioides brethren did... Do you take extra care to keep the media from staying soggy or are they more tolerant than I've read? Many people grow these guys in net pots...

Ron,

This could easily be a case of ignorance being bliss :p

I treat them both alike. When the sphag starts looking a little rough.. I fill the jar completely with water, let sit for a half hour or so then drain completely.
Niether "stand" in water, but get regular "baths".

Drew, it's domestic sphag... nothing exotic

Cheers'
Av

Av,
Nice healthy-looking plants! While longifolia often likes wet feet, I didn't think alpina & it's other Orchidioides brethren did... Do you take extra care to keep the media from staying soggy or are they more tolerant than I've read? Many people grow these guys in net pots...

depends......some dont seem to mind wet feet in certain conditions.....i had one alpina growing as an nearly an attatched aquatic bout 2 years ago

Av8tor, I want to do with a U. longifolia what you did with your plants, that's such a wonderful look! I have a bundle of LFS but it's not live, will it come to life on all sides like yours and not just the top when it's in a bowl like that or did you use all live moss to begin with? Experimenters want to know! :D

I use all live moss to begin with. But both work.

Can't help but notice the heli...don't really like ultrics.....

Back