What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over the past few months, I've acquired several species of small Utrics. Because I'd like to collect seed where possible and also want to avoid having unwanted seed scattered among other species pots - I would like information on the pollination requirements for different species. I'll start by listing the information I've found (not necessarily accurate - feel free to differ). If there are sources where this information is available - please share ...

U. subulata - weed that requires no pollination intervention & often sets seed without even flowering (cleistogamous flowering)
U. bisquamata - sets seed without intervention - freely spewing seeds into nearby pots
U. bisquamata 'Betty's Bay' - manual pollination required
U. sandersonii ('normal' bunny ears) - free flowering but will not produce seed - even if manually pollinated
U. sandersonii 'blue' - ??
U. graminifolia - ??
U. livida - ??
U. blanchetii - ??
U. parthenopipes - ??
U. warburgii - ??
U. uniflora - ??
U. tricolor - (not that I'll ever get a bloom) 8^) - ??
U. nephrophylla - ??

Probably more for others that may read this than you but just incase you don't know and those that may read this.

Not all forms of U. subulata are cleistogamous, some forms require flowering and pollination, some forms flower and self pollinate.

U. livida had been in flower for me for 2-3 months and did not self seed. one form
U. blanchetii has been in flower for me for 3-4 months and has not self seeded. one form
U. parthenopipes had been in flower for me for 1-2 months and did not self seed. one form

Not all forms of U. subulata are cleistogamous, some forms require flowering and pollination, some forms flower and self pollinate.
Once upon a time, I had the privilege of having some of the cute little yellow flowers. Over time they were replaced by petal-less little balls of seed. Knock on wood as I may have been able to finally eradicate that nasty little species from my collection**. :hail:

** although a Voldemort among us may have managed to slip me some cleverly hidden amongst the cover of some warburgii foliage ... :thumbdown: :0o:

Back